It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 3:07 am

Welcome
Welcome to Tsuruko Maiko
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please join our growing community!

Post subject: Why, hello!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:56 pm 
Shikomi
Shikomi

Favorite Geiko: Kofuku and Toshimana
Favorite Maiko: Naoai and Mameroku
Good day!

I have been searching far and across the Internet for a forum such as these. Some other forums have been very cruel and pretentious and I'm happy to find one that actively tries not to belittle people.

My real name is Season (actually) feel free to address me as such. I am from Ontario, Canada.

I would consider myself an intermediate student on the Karyukai. I own almost every English print book on the subject, extensively scour every social media outlet and now it feels good to be at home in an old fashioned forum.

Just like "the old ways" always make me feel more at home anyhow!

Thank you for your time, your patience and your consideration.

P.S. : I love all Maiko and Geiko but some of my current favorite are Kimicho from Tokyo, Naoai from Kamischichiken, Kofuku from Miyagawacho and Ichiyu(i?) from Pontocho.

Gotta love the classic beauties Umeha, Satsuki and Mamefuji of course. ;)

Post subject: Re: Why, hello!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:52 am 
Atotori

Favorite Geiko: Katsuru Ichimari
Favorite Maiko: Mamefuji Mameroku
Welcome! :D Please enjoy the forum!

What is your favorite karyukai book from the ones you own? Why?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:49 am 
Shikomi
Shikomi

Favorite Geiko: Kofuku and Toshimana
Favorite Maiko: Naoai and Mameroku
It's hard to come to a decision. I'm a pretty big fan of Liza Dalby's "Geisha" but love the straightfowardNess of John Gallagher's book of the same title.(Despite the unprecedented amount of Henshin he passes off as real Geiko and Maiko in the pictures) I tend to like very in depth works with a lot of detail.

Mineko Iwasaki's book and Sayo Masuda's would have to be my favorites because they come straight from the source and they offer you a good socioeconomic comparison that is often lacking when you only focus on Kyoto Hanamachi.

For picture books, definitely Komomo's collection and Subtle Beauty(which I keep on my coffee table for conversation starters.)

How about yourself?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:20 pm 
Atotori

Favorite Geiko: Katsuru Ichimari
Favorite Maiko: Mamefuji Mameroku
Well for me it is definitely Komomo's book. I really like the way she told her story and the fact that she gave a few very interesting details I had no idea about, for example when she talks that in the past mokuroku would have a maiko's face on them (I would love to see those!)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:17 am 
Junior Maiko
Junior Maiko

Hi Kisetsu! Welcome!