It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:18 pm

Welcome
Welcome to Tsuruko Maiko
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please join our growing community!

Post subject: Who's next? (foreign geigi)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:47 pm 
Senior Maiko
Senior Maiko

Favorite Geiko: Fukusuzu Kofuku
Favorite Maiko: Konami Mameaki
Now with Kimichô studying in Tokyo, is anyone else considering becoming a geigi? I think this will always be a strange topic any way you look at it :oops: so I won't be shy... After discovering Kimichô, my dream began stirring in its slumber.

Every aspiring geigi's path is a different, and for me I have too many obligations here to just throw myself into pursuing this right now, but I no longer feel like it's a silly or unreasonable dream and that in itself feels amazing. I've been seriously meditating on my life goals, and I've started studying shamisen and dance, so that's something. Just wondering who else shares this dream and would consider chasing it :) or do you want to be involved in the karyûkai some other way, if at all?

Post subject: Re: Who's next? (foreign geigi)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:23 pm 
Okasan

Favorite Geiko: Katsuna
Good luck Shizuka! I'm quite sure I'd never do such thing. I don't feel responsible for studying Japanese dance, shamisen or any other art at the age of 25. I think it's too soon for me. Also I am happy with who I am right now :D I'm scared of major changes. I still want to develop my interest in geisha, geiko and maiko but in this case I'm more like a scientist. I dedicated half of my academic work for these ladies and I'm proud of it ^^

Post subject: Re: Who's next? (foreign geigi)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:30 pm 
Senior Maiko
Senior Maiko

Favorite Geiko: Fukusuzu Kofuku
Favorite Maiko: Konami Mameaki
Thanks blanche :)

I'm one of those people for whom every day is so different... I'm a very passionate but ambivalent person, and some mornings I wake up with entirely new dreams. I'm also 25, with nothing to show for my life yet except a lot of unfinished writing about the karyûkai lol, all mostly stuff to satisfy my personal curiosity. I'm at a point in my "research," as I call it, where I feel like writing and photos don't bring me any closer to actually experiencing their Art and culture, which is why I took the plunge and bought myself a shamisen and started to study dance.

I've been keeping in contact with other (Japanese) "aspiring geigi" and it's nice to have that support. Obviously nothing is set in stone. I have to improve my Japanese and save money, and sort out my life along the way lol. Kimichô was 25 when she went to Japan, and Ibu and Fukutarô are both at least over 30, so I'm not worried about my age so much as being taken seriously and becoming a respected artist. I haven't told anyone in my personal life about my dream, and I don't want to jinx anything or be all talk and then give it up :oops: plus deep down I'm afraid I'll be unhappy no matter what in life, so the idea of leaving for a completely foreign life makes me anxious... But as one of my greatest heroes, Søren Kierkegaard, said, "Anxiety is the dizziness of freedom..."