It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:46 am

Welcome
Welcome to Tsuruko Maiko
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please join our growing community!

Post subject: Who is this girl?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:33 am 
Shikomi
Shikomi

At an antiques store at my city a man tryed to sell me a doll like this http://cgi.ebay.com/Japanese-Geisha-Kanzashi-UCHIKAKE-hina-ichimatsu-Doll-2-/280648058892?pt=Asian_Antiques&hash=item4157ed880c#ht_5485wt_1139 barely in the same price shown at eBay. But... what is that doll depicting?
Was that guy trying to swindle me, or is that doll the real deal?

Thanks!

:: Failure does not make us smaller, it forces us to consider the distance between us and our dreams :: -H. Toledano

Post subject: Re: Who is this girl?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:58 am 
Shikomi
Shikomi

If the doll at the antiques store is exactly like this one on eBay, then yes, it's 'real'. But, it's a newer doll and probably isn't gofun all over (maybe not even in the face), but a type of plastic. I could see a doll like that going as high as the $50 range, if it's in an antique/consignment shop here in the US, depending on the condition (and how much you like her!). But if he's asking you for any more than that, I wouldn't do it. I'm not an expert on dolls, but I've seen enough of them to know there's plenty of these out there. Just personal opinion, anyways.

Post subject: Re: Who is this girl?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:54 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favorite Geiko: Ichisayo
Favorite Maiko: Mamesome
Hihi, Hoshigumo is right. :3

If the doll is exactly or almost like that one, she is a plastic / resin doll. Not Gofun in the least.

The doll depicts a tsuzumi player basically.

I actually refuse to collect these dolls, because unless they are marked and in absolutely mint condition, I cannot get any sort of money or profit out of these dolls. I don't want to say they are worthless, but they are not valuable either. Sure, they look pretty, but they look very cheap in comparison to the dolls that came a few decades previously.

These are basically tourist dolls, and they still make them very similar to this still, though they're now usually the upper tiered tourist dolls now, in comparison to the china-made dolls that are so common even in tourist shops in Japan.

Ick.

If you can get it at the store, I would advise spending no more than $25 unless you really, really like the doll and don't foresee selling or parting with the doll. If she's absolutely mint, maybe $50.

The most I have ever gotten for one is $75. This was before the economic crisis, and the doll was absolutely mint, and one of the older and first made resin dolls. She was from about 1980 or so, and was stamped Nishi Doll on a tag beneath her stand.