It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:37 am

Welcome
Welcome to Tsuruko Maiko
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please join our growing community!

Post subject: What don't you like about Japan
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:03 am 
Shikomi
Shikomi

In a lot of posts is asked what you like about Japan.
But of course Japan has some negative aspects

So I was wondering.

What don't you like about Japan

Personaly I think the large amount of whales that are killed every year by Japan is really bad.

Post subject: Re: What don't you like about Japan
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:34 am 
Okasan

Favorite Geiko: Ichiteru Makino
I don't know... maybe the war crimes during World War II such as the Death March, where thousands of Filipino and American soldiers who surrendered under the Japanese rule were forced to undergo a harsh ordeal of walking hundreds of miles almost without food or water. Those who were unable to walk further or tried to escape were killed instantly with bayonet by the Japanese soldiers.

Well, that is past.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:36 pm 
Shikomi
Shikomi

Indeed their war crimes were absolutely bad.
And indeed it's the past. I also think that what Japan in during WWII could happen to any other country. The country were I live in (Holland) was also bad during WWII. There were many people who co-operatewith the Nazi Germans.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:55 pm 
Junior Maiko
Junior Maiko

Favorite Geiko: Fukuya_Fukunao
Favorite Maiko: Tanewaka_Fukusato
Being a non-Japanese person in love with Japan, I'm rather saddened by their xenophobia. I'm sure there are Japanese who don't mind foreigners at all, but I get the feeling that the generalized opinion is that "It's ok to visit for a little while, but please don't live here." You have to really prove yourself to fit in.

From a linguistic-cultural standpoint, I don't like the indirectness when trying to say No, lol. I think that's more rude than being direct, because you KNOW what they mean but they won't say it. My Japanese teacher explains it as a way to protect the other person's feelings, because you are supposed to take the Japanese "tatemae" (public face) at more or less face value and not worry too much about another person's "honne" (true feelings). I have a terrible time trying to lie in Japanese XD In class, sometimes we talk about things I have absolutely no interest in, and we have to make up conversations with in-depth questions and reactions -- this completely shuts down my brain and I can't even think properly. It's hard to think about what I CAN say rather than just saying what comes to mind/how I feel. If it's a topic I love, I can speak fairly well and uphold my end of a conversation, but trying to be not-myself in Japanese is very difficult -.-

And I find all of the different speech styles (honorific, humble, polite, casual, men/women, etc) very difficult to switch between, so if I were to actually meet Japanese people and converse in Japanese, I would probably offend them (unless of course, they figure I don't know any better because I'm a foreigner...). We learned standard polite form for so long that that is what my brain thinks in and what I speak most fluently. I detest casual Japanese and I'm not very good at feminine speech; and I have a hard time using honorific language because the person above me in status can address me more casually -- it tricks my mind into thinking maybe they are trying to be casual WITH me, but it is a one-way street.

Also, the Japanese seem to be very big on working as a team, and I am NOT a team player at all lol. I don't like anything about being part of a group, not because I think I am a super special snowflake, but because I'm very cynical of other people's intentions and capability. I can't trust strangers at all :/

This seems like a laundry list of annoyances, but I'm really just frustrated with myself for not being more adaptable. I'm expressing my displeasure with myself more than Japan. I basically like Japan the way it is, because each piece of the culture is vital to the whole. It's more than actions; the actions resonate in the heart and the heart reflects in everything.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:14 am 
Shikomi
Shikomi

I agree with you kikuyo, I've always think about Japan as a we-don't-like-foreings country... as the matter no foreing geisha can exist... well, no many of them ._.

Other aspect is the hard working style of living. I heard the family day/month came from Japan; also in my country the holidays are moved to moonday or friday, so we don't attend to work/school three continuous days and spend it with the family and making tourism, wich is very good for southern Mexico... that idea comes from Japan but focusing in family, so working people can be with their family... It may be critical that even goverment consideer necesary their people to return home.

:: Failure does not make us smaller, it forces us to consider the distance between us and our dreams :: -H. Toledano

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:12 pm 
Shikomi
Shikomi

Yeah i agree with kikuyo on xenophobia. Its really horrible if your African American as well. Most Asians think that African Americans are unintelligent and rude just because of the way we are portrayed on television. We are treated like a common stereotype very harshly by alot of people of Asian descent. Trying to have an Asian bf especially if your African American is very complicated and hurtful matter. I can understand alot of bits of language and some of the things they say but don't expect me to understand is very hurtful. So its really comforting when i meet Asian people of any descent that don't feel they are superior to me. Its extremely common in the older generations but not unheard of in the younger generations. For me it was hard to be interested in Asian culture as a younger girl when the people have a dislike of your race even before they know you.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:06 pm 
Minarai
Minarai

Favorite Geiko: Sayaka - Satsuki
Favorite Maiko: Marika
-Killing of Whales.. =\
-Xenophobia.

Ofcourse the waay too modern part of Japan. I believe I am only Love the Traditiona; part.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:15 am 
Shikomi
Shikomi

No country is perfect,of course. And I agree with everything I read here.
Fishin´ endangered species,detachment(but this have a little understanding from me),the "lying"...
Only with the war thing is really hard,no country has gone from war unsullied.
Ahh,nothing is perfect..we have to accept this fact.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:04 am 
Shikomi
Shikomi

I've been living in Japan a bit more than a year and everything is fine, but some things made me upset.
For example, you can't have pets like cats and dogs in most of apartments (especially if you rent).. to have your own place to live costs crazily a lot.
Then there was one strange case for me - if your spouse is invited to some friend's wedding and you are not invited, your spouse can't take you to accompany. So, when my husband was invited alone I just was shocked for a while and didn't let him go without me. Those people were his friends but they didn't wanna have a foreigner on their wedding, because "I would confuse all the guests" as they said. We also have to give money for invitation, and if he would go to wedding, we would pay much more (that time we couldn't spend a lot).. After wedding we got an album. As my husband said, the newly weds have to send to all invited people some albums (kind of catalogs with things you can buy and just married couple will pay for you).. Kind of weird too.. And this is traditional stuff)
May be one more unpleasant thing is - outside everyone is staring at you if you are a foreigner. I really hate such kind of attention, I just can't be relaxed this way.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:15 pm 
Shikomi
Shikomi

I find that's a good idea to have created a topic to talk about what we do not like about Japan, it had to be thought Xochimilco ! :chuuu:
Well, I'm not really well-placed to talk about bad points of this country since I have never gone there, and I can't claim knowing the land enough. Anyway there are some things which are established and which disturb me a little. At first, I agree with Kikuyo and the others, there's the problem of their xenophobia. It can be a problem because it's the opposite of our (members who posted here about that and I) values, and after that, it is a problem for us, foreigners : D who would like to go there or who are used to travel there.
The other thing which upset me is their unknowledge of the male-female parity. Their society has been created on the differentiation of the sexes -like the most of the societies- but it is still topical. I talked three months ago with a French girl living now in Japan, and she explains me that it was not admitted -at least for now- that women can have the same rights as men. It is nowadays still quite difficult for a Japanese woman to work...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:37 am 
Shikomi
Shikomi

THE KANJI. It's such a headache to learn them. @_@ I've been self-learning French after trying Japanese on and off, and I can't believe how much easier it is. ;_; But most of the obscure Heian-topic reference books I like are in Japanese with no hope to be translated... So I just have to keep working on it. ;_____; Why such a difficult language. x_____x

Oh, and my major dislike (actual can't-stand-it rather than just mild annoyance) : Unit 731. Nightmare fuel. Don't even read about them if you're squeamish. (They were, like, mad WWII Nazi scientists, but Japanese. Crazy stuff they did... I deeply regret reading about it. >_>;)

I can't think of anything else except for what's already been mentioned.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:33 pm 
Shikomi
Shikomi

Favorite Geiko: Ichimari
I haven't actually been to Japan but:

- The Xenophobia. As a foreigner with an interest in traditional Japanese culture, this makes me sad.
- Killing whales. :(
- Lack of male-female parity. As a modern-minded western woman, this obviously bothers me.
- Unit 731 *big shudder here* All in the past, and no country is perfect but *shudder*

Yep, all of these.

geiko-no-sekai.tumblr.com

Last edited by Akaikiku on Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:24 am 
Shikomi
Shikomi

Favorite Geiko: Miehina
Being Half Japanese, and having the multicultural upbringing I have had, I have the luxury of being able to see things from both sides. Personally, one of the things I do not like about Japan is that there are so few Japanese people (of course this is a generalisation) who are willing to devote their lives to be a cultural guardian, so to speak, for example, Geisha (Geiko and Maiko under an umbrella term), Kabuki actors, Tea mastersuki actors, Tea masters, instrumental craftsmen and traditional architects. These are the things that many people love about Japan, and yet they are so few and far between. That is not to say that it is impossible to find these people, but there are many who claim to be these who are in fact hawkers and immitators.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:45 am 
Shikomi
Shikomi

Favorite Geiko: Miehina
I'd like to make a point about the Japanese Xenophobia. . .
well, the thing is, with a country that is being so rapidly westernised, I think their xenophobia is good to an extent, that they don't want to change so they don't lose their culture and traditions to western ideals and opinions. I feel that by being slightly xenophobic the japanese are protecting themselves from losing their cultural identity and uniqueness. Controversial as this may be, it is my opinion and I feel entitled to share it. Thanks for your time.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:38 pm 
The Okasan
The Okasan

Favorite Geiko: Mamesuzu
Favorite Maiko: Satsuki
I guess (hope ?) everybody will agree with me :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nippon_Kaigi
Nankin didn't exist, Unity 731 were exagerated, comfort women were voluntaries and so on.

My avatar is a photo taken by Canonplanet :
http://www.flickr.com/photos/canondream/4527052848