It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:47 am

Welcome
Welcome to Tsuruko Maiko
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please join our growing community!

Post subject: Re: What don't you like about Japan
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:06 pm 
Shikomi
Shikomi

Favorite Geiko: Kosen Wakana Kotoha
Favorite Maiko: Tomitsuyu Umechie
I agree with most of you.
I don't like xenofobia, war related past (with Nankin, comfort women etc), racism (it may sound controversial, but I think that Japanese only talk about racism when they are threated badly by white people, but they don't see it in their relationship with Chinese, Ryukyu, Ainu, Korean).

Things most people don't like, which I don't really mind:
Tatemae and honne. Maybe because I was raised in pretty conservative envoirment with simmilar rules - saying directly "no" was considered rude and I don't see abything offensive in it (in Poland young people are often direct and communicate "modern, western way", but especialy for older people such nuances and manners are important).
Female/male roles more strict than in west - I understand, that many woman may be happy only when they have a succesful career, be independent and free, but I would like to be a housewife, caring about those I love, and there's nothing wrong with it. In Japan there are women who are not married and working. Maybe not all of them want this kind of life?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:02 am 
Junior Maiko
Junior Maiko

Cognitive dissonance. I know that Japan did these things (and don't say unit 731's atrocities were exaggerated, or that comfort women volunteered - don't be foolish and inflammatory), but I separate these things from the parts of Japan I like. I guess we'll see after I go there in April. I try to keep knowledge of these things from affecting my opinion of the karyukai.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:30 am 
Shikomi
Shikomi

Favorite Geiko: Kofuku and Toshimana
Favorite Maiko: Naoai and Mameroku
I'm not a fan of the xenophobic attitudes or the undercurrent of nationalism that, though still detectable, isn't as bad as it once was. But then, I find heavy nationalism annoying no matter where you're from.

I'm not very against gender roles and when it comes to gender relations despite having some feminist tendencies I'm very much a traditionalist at heart. It does,however,bother me that it's so hard to get access to birth control in Japan unless you're married and also the not so subtle attitude that only women under 25 can be truly attractive. Reading about women being told to find new careers when they became "too old" to be workplace assistants or secretaries actually really ground my gears.

That said, there's far too many pros that outweigh the cons for me, especially when it comes to Japan's more traditional culture and beliefs.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:48 pm 
Junior Maiko
Junior Maiko

I hope that with time and globalisation, these attitudes will change.