It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:48 am

Welcome
Welcome to Tsuruko Maiko
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please join our growing community!

Post subject: Virtual O-koto
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:30 pm 
Misedashi
Misedashi

Favorite Geiko: Mineko and Wakana
Favorite Maiko: Tsuruha
I have no idea how interested people are in learning to play an o-koto, however, if you want to give it a swing without having to buy one you can try it out virtually here:

Virtual O-Koto!

It's not my site, but I thought it was neat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:41 am 
Shikomi
Shikomi

This is cool~ I like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm 
First Year Maiko
First Year Maiko

Favorite Geiko: no preferance
Favorite Maiko: no preference
it looks easier than piano,and much more fun :D

My keyborad teacher knows how to play taisho-koto,she told me that what you have to do is to follow the numbers in teh instructions.you don´t need to pratice to make your fings acostumed like you must do in piano or keyboard. :D

japanese instruments are easy to learn,compared to what i´ve been suffering with my keyboard :x

Post subject: Re: Virtual O-koto
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:14 pm 
Shikomi
Shikomi

Playing koto is more difficult than piano in many ways. While Piano music can be more complicated and complex than koto, koto has the problems of indefinite pitch, moving bridges, and a host of other issues that make it more complicated than piano. I can play piano somewhat and am learning koto...piano is defiantly easier for me!

In addition where I live you can often get a decent piano for free (people's kids stop taking lessons and the parents will often give you the piano if you just get it of of the house); a decent koto costs about the same as a new small car, not a toy car, but the same as a real car ... $10,000 to $20,000 USDollars. Inexpensive student "starter" koto made in China are about $800 however ... so it's only a little expensive to start.

I do admit the koto simulator is fun (and I also have a koto simulator on my iPhone which is a bit better). However it's not really very much like a real koto as a "point and click" keyboard is not very much like a real piano.

As to not making your fingers accustomed? How about ... not only do your fingers need to be become accustomed ... but what pitch they are changes with the tuning and mode. So that some time scale as all different notes and all different spacing between the notes. So while your fingers need to become accustomed to say read "go" as string 5, your ear needs to be nimble and be flexible as to what pitch comes from "go" and string 5! So sometimes the key that is "D" on the piano would be the sound of "D", other times it would be "Db", or G, or A#. How much fun would that be ah?

I do love the koto music!