It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 6:50 pm

Welcome
Welcome to Tsuruko Maiko
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please join our growing community!

Post subject: Traditional Japan
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:25 pm 
Senior Maiko
Senior Maiko

Favorite Geiko: Mayuha and Kimika
Favorite Maiko: Fukusuzu
Wasn't sure where to put this topic, so I thought I'd play it safe.

So, is anyone else out there interested/participating in Traditional Japanese persuits like Tea Ceremony, Ikebana, Koto, Shamisen, etc? I am part of the Tea Ceremony club at my college, and I occasionally get lessons in Shamisen (the schedule with sensei is... tenuous). I find my Tea Ceremony classes to be really fun, and I'd love to be able to talk about Traditional Japan with others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:31 pm 
First Year Maiko
First Year Maiko

Favorite Geiko: Umeha
I would but I work nights and wouldn't have a clue where any place to learn tea ceremony at here in Virginia Beach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:33 pm 

Favorite Geiko: Miehina
Favorite Maiko: Mametomi
I want to learn tea ceremony and dance, and if I could, shamisen. But there is nothing offered here unless you are in college. We have a Japan festival were many of the college students dance, sing, play shamisen, etc. It's pretty fun to go to. And we have our own Yosakoi team. I went for the first time last year and I'm looking forward to it again this April! I just hope my mom lets me go, she doesn't care for anything that has to do with culture. ::raeg::

I have spoken to some of the people that work for these festivals, the techers, etc. But they haven't found anything for kids available. :tired:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:08 am 
Junior Maiko
Junior Maiko

Favorite Geiko: Wakana and Kogiku
Favorite Maiko: Katsuyuki
I am well-versed in tea ceremony. It is actually the best thing I have ever learned. If you get a chance to learn (if you haven't already) let someone old teach you. Wonderful experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:30 am 
Shikomi
Shikomi

I would love to learn all of that! For me, I have to read more than take lessons. I know that there is someone here who does Japanese dance, but I have no idea where to get her contact info, because she is not online. And I would not know where to find her in the phonebook either...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:28 am 
Senior Maiko
Senior Maiko

What school did you learn, Katsumiyo? I'm part of the Urasenke School.

Sensei is the best. I don't think she speaks a word of English, but that doesn't stop her at all. She's so kind, I love it when she comes to teach us (she only comes once a week to teach us and the Ikebana club because of schedule reasons, I believe). She's so elegant as well. You're definitely right about getting someone older to teach you. Although, all of my fellow club members do a wonderful job teaching me as well. My Japanese is also getting better, too.

Katsumiyo, do you use a furo and kama when you perform Chado? I'm wondering how I'm going to get a kama in America... without killing my budget. Everything else is managable...

Miehina, your college offers those things?!? You're so lucky! My home college doesn't have anything like that. I'm going to try starting up a kimono club when I get back, and with any luck, I can manage to start a Chado (Tea Ceremony) Club as well. Still, that puts me in the position of being sensei... which really limits the club :cry:.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:35 am 
Shikomi
Shikomi

I studied tea ceremony for a few years (Urasenke, a long time ago, not sure I could still fold my fukusa!), but gave it up because I wanted to devote more time to my koto certifications. Now I live for koto and shamisen (most fun/enriching/best things I ever learned !) I do still participate in the occasional tea ceremony, if I get a chance, and always enjoy "ippuku".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:07 am 
Shikomi
Shikomi

I've always been interesting in learning ikebana (love ikebana!), koto, shamisen and dance, but I haven't the time nor access to teachers :( Plus, once I graduate and return to my country for good, I'll start working >12 hour days (6am to 8pm) and wouldn't have the time or energy to do so :cry: I suppose I could try joining the Japan Club and see if they have any lessons during the weekends...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:26 pm 
Senior Maiko
Senior Maiko

yumeyakko, I know just what that feels like. I've done some internships that would leave me utterly exhausted afterwards. I'm normally an insomniac, yet when I was working as a grant researcher, I always wanted to go to sleep around 8:00.

Because my sensei teaches both Chado and Ikebana on the same day at the same time, I get to spy on the Ikebana club. It's fun, but Ikebana lessons rely far more heavily on Japanese comprehension than Chado, so I don't think I could ever learn it competently. In Chado, all I have to do is follow what they show me to do, but Ikebana lessons start out with a long speech about how the flowers should be arranged and what they represent. So, as interesting as Ikebana is, I don't suggest learning it unless there's someone there with both excellent English and Japanese abilities.

sokyoku, it's fun to be the guest. I just wish I could remember everything I'm supposed to say. That's definitely what I'm worst at. But, I love the wagashi and tea together, so I gladly suffer the embarrassment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:01 pm 
Senior Maiko
Senior Maiko

Favorite Geiko: Kotoha
Favorite Maiko: Fukuya
I dont know anything! I cant even find japanese language classes! :cry:

I really want to do traditional dance, shamisen, tea ceremony, and everything else!

Post subject: Ikebana
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:25 pm 
Shikomi
Shikomi

yumeyakko wrote:
I've always been interesting in learning ikebana (love ikebana!), koto, shamisen and dance, but I haven't the time nor access to teachers :( Plus, once I graduate and return to my country for good, I'll start working >12 hour days (6am to 8pm) and wouldn't have the time or energy to do so :cry: I suppose I could try joining the Japan Club and see if they have any lessons during the weekends...

* youtube has instructional videos on Ikebana, they are very informative* I am also very interested in Ikebana

I hope this helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:06 am 
Shikomi
Shikomi

I would love to learn origami and shamisen ^_^ .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:28 am 
Misedashi
Misedashi

Favorite Geiko: Mineko and Wakana
Favorite Maiko: Tsuruha
I think I must have been a geisha in a past life, because I want to learn EVERYTHING, even if it's not possible. Quite frankly, however, I would like to learn how to play the flutes and maybe shamisen.

If I could afford the few thousand dollar price tag, I'd go for an o-koto too.

As for other things, I like ikebana and calligraphy, personally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:15 pm 
Senior Maiko
Senior Maiko

Favorite Geiko: Kotoha
Favorite Maiko: Fukuya
Thats like me, i want to learn everything and anything possible to do with geisha and japan! I know oragami though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:04 pm 
Junior Maiko
Junior Maiko

Favorite Geiko: Wakana and Kogiku
Favorite Maiko: Katsuyuki
My friends all joke with me and say that I must have have been a geisha in a past life. I love everything about it. My fiancee thinks I'm crazy, and who knows, maybe I am. But there it is. I will be 30 years old next year, and I still play dress up. What can I say? I hate the fact that I am so old, not because of aging, but because I can't run away and become a Maiko.