It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:38 am

Welcome
Welcome to Tsuruko Maiko
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please join our growing community!

Post subject: Tea ceremony
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:35 am 
Shikomi
Shikomi

It is impossible to find a tea ceremony teacher in my town, so I ordered some books and found a very interesting site. I want to learn! >u<

I got a chasen, chasaku, chawan; make a fukusa and bought some green tea, the hishaku and natsume are comming next. But I'm still missing some important and expensive items... the kama and the furo sold on ebay are quite high priced!
What can I use as a replacement? I think about a common metal tea pot...

Maybe on summer vacation I can travel to capital and visit the japanese asociation, so there I may really learn about tea ceremony.

Do you practice Tea ceremony? Any advise for a begginer is wolcomed ;) let's share some experiences.

:: Failure does not make us smaller, it forces us to consider the distance between us and our dreams :: -H. Toledano

Post subject: Re: Tea ceremony
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:53 am 
Okasan
Okasan

I'm learning tea ceremony, Urasenke School. I'm a beginner too!
First of all I'm learning bonryaku temae, that is, tea service using a tray. This is the most basic temae and the implements are less expensive, as you don't use a kama and furo. I use a tetsubin and a bon, instead. Maybe that's the place to start...
:)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:32 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favorite Geiko: Ichisayo
Favorite Maiko: Mamesome
Tray styled tea ceremony, indeed, is the best way to go. I take tea ceremony lessons at the school and have all my stuff for tray that uses the tetsubin versus the furo. A normal tetsubin should be iron, since the iron is supposed to give the tea a better taste. In some instances, a little rust is considered good and gives the tea an aged taste or some such.

You may not want to make your own fukusa. Square cloth, yes, but they're made a certain way so one side does not have a seam, and it's very important in the way the cloth is folded for certain stages of the tea ceremony. They aren't too terribly expensive if you can find them.

Also, with tray style, you don't need a hishaku. You will, however, need a chakin, which is the small cotton cloth used to ceremonially clean the tea bowl before making the tea. It should be the real thing, but using a 3 X 9 piece of cotton will suffice, not that they're terribly expensive, but I do realize it all adds up. They can also be tricky to find. If you can't find them, buy yourself a plain white tenugui and cut some chakin from that. Tenugui and chakin are made from ABOUT the same kind of cotton.

There are a few other tools you'll want to invest in. You should never store your matcha in your natsume, or it'll go bad. Place it back in its metal container or else invest in a chaire eventually, which is meant for transporting the matcha.

Your tray should measure between 11-13 inches across and be perfectly circular. It can have 'rises and falls' in the ridges, like a ume blossom, if that makes sense? Maybe I should take pictures of my tray. My teachers actually suggested the ridges, since it makes it easier to lay down the chasaku.

Also, be prepared to go through lots of chasen. They break very easy, even with normal use, and you don't want to be using one with too many of the filaments busted off, or it won't froth the tea quite right.

Since I'm assuming you're learning Urasenke, the tea in that style is preferred as being frothed or very airy. I can only describe it as 'trying to dredge as much air into the tea' as possible. It should be bubbly and foamy. Omotosenke is almost the complete opposite, bubbly tea is not preferred.

Another tidbit about Urasenke, and I only learned this because of my tea tray: But, Sen Rikyu, the founder of the Urasenke school, loved Ume flowers beyond anything else, so implements like chawan motif'd with ume are considered especially good for Urasenke tea. My Bon just happened to have beautiful ume motifs inscribed upon the wood, and one of my teachers was sure to remark upon how wonderful a tray it was because of its motif.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:25 pm 
Shikomi
Shikomi

Oh! thanks Mousy and Tsuruko for the help! I think I'll try the urasenke style first. And yes you're right, fukusa and chakin aren't expensive hehe :P

:: Failure does not make us smaller, it forces us to consider the distance between us and our dreams :: -H. Toledano

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:47 am 
Okasan
Okasan

You're welcome Lauraelisha!
As for the tray, like Tsuruko says, it's better if you get one with ridges.
By the way, I'd love to see a picture of your tray, Tsuruko, if it's possible. I've always seen plain ones! :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favorite Geiko: Ichisayo
Favorite Maiko: Mamesome
One of these days! When I get my house cleaned up, that is! It's a terrible mess, and I just won't take photos inside unless things are clean. Yes, just a touch weird over here.

I got my marubon within the states and I actually paid under $20 for it altogether simply because the seller didn't know what it was. Looking for 'oriental tray,' or other such terms can bring up some hidden treasures to be had for a fraction. You just need to know the proper dimensions and what to look for. I've gotten cheap, US Chawan like that as well!

Also! Silly me forgot, you'll need a kensui! It's the waste water pot that you use once you've ceremonially cleaned the chawan. They can be expensive, but you can usually find the plain copper ones, which look like mini spittoons for nothing to prohibitively expensive. I have a copper one myself, and I would suggest one of those. They're very durable that way, and if you have to track back and forth, there's less worry.

With the tea ceremony involving the furo and such, you will need a mizusashi, which contains the spare water for the kama. If you do ever get yourself a furo, electric, electric, electric! I don't have one yet, but the tea ceremony group I learn from insist on them so much.

Also, a little tidbit I forgot ( it comes and goes ) there are two types of chawan used. There's the normal high-walled chawan, which I forget the exact name of, and also Hira-chawan. They're almost plate like, with lower walls, but they're used for summer, so the tea cools a little quicker, else in summer, the tea would stay too warm.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:57 pm 
Okasan
Okasan

Oh, don't worry Tsuruko! I was just curious ;)

I still have to get me a kensui, so thanks for the tip!

Ah, and the type of chawan used in winter are called hanzutsu, I think.

Post subject: Tea ceremony workshop
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:55 am 
Shikomi
Shikomi

Hello,

It's very simple with chawans.

Chawans are important participants of temae, or japanese tea ceremony…
tsutsu chawans are for winter, natsu chawans are for summer.

What is not so simple is practicing with these chawans. There is special variations of temae for winter tsutsu and special teamea for summer chawans.

You are working with chakin in completely different way.

So for beginners it's not so easy to make correct tsutsujawan temae or summer one.

you can read and enjoy more information on my blog

http://cajovysommelier.cz/en/2011/04/bl ... ashitsu-1/

If you are interested about workshop for beginners (yes, it's bonryaku temae), you are welcome...

read about TEA WORKSHOP here:

http://cajovysommelier.cz/en/2011_workshop/

write me if you are interested.

I wish you a lot of fun...with chakin, fukusa and so on...

and I am going to prepar bowl of summer koicha...

with regards Jan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:58 am 
Misedashi
Misedashi

Favorite Geiko: Mineko and Wakana
Favorite Maiko: Tsuruha
My friends and I are having similiar issues in regards to finding teachers for anything up here. Everything is by video using youtube or other resources, or by reading the books.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:46 am 
Shikomi
Shikomi

Hello Bonryaku!
Your site is very interesting, but I really don't get it
Do you teach tea ceremony? Are your courses in-life or online?
I'm sorry, I just got a bit confused :sweat:

By the way, your recommendation about substitute japanese utensil with common ones, is good for practice, I'll try it!

Post subject: Hello Lauraelisha: Tea ceremony
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:25 pm 
Shikomi
Shikomi

Hello lauraelisha,

thank you very much. I am happy you enjoyed substitute. Tea spirit is important - utencil is only the way:-).

I am teaching bonryaku in-life. That`s correct. Personally, I study koicha temaes with tanas or kinindate (that`s after usucha temae)....

I like nice words....`teach minimum two levels from your temae`...and that`s exactly bonryaku. Even that people things that it`s simple, it`s not. I studied almost 8 months...

15 minutes!!!!!

You gave me a nice idea! Maybe should be nice also make online lessons..so people should connected from different parts of world:-)..

It sound quit weird and wild, but some of my teachers was thinking about this..

but it`s not very traditional....

:-)))))

but who knows:-)

I have been 2 years ago in Mexico, in Ciudad and in Acapulco...very nice locatios...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:23 am 
Shikomi
Shikomi

Yes you're right, it's no very traditional, but I think Internet is just a tool we use for our objectives; without it I would never have learned about kitsuke, for example! So if you are going someday to teach on-line, I'm ready to take your course ;)

Yes, Acapulco is very nice, american springbrakers love it!