It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 2:18 pm

Welcome
Welcome to Tsuruko Maiko
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please join our growing community!

Post subject: Sending gifts to maiko/geiko..?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:18 pm 
Minarai
Minarai

Specifically, I wanted to send a little care package to the Tomikiku, because Tomitae is my favorite maiko, and I really admire the Tomikiku's progressive stance on offering entertainment to first-timers and tourists. Plus, they speak English, so I'd feel more comfortable where my Japanese is lacking.

Has anyone done this? What's your opinion?

I put this in the serious discussion forum because, well, I don't want to be crossing any lines. A gift from a patron would be normal, but do geimaiko get fan mail too? Honestly I think any person would love fan mail lol.

Is this something you guys would be interested in? Or we could figure out together how to send gifts to a few different geiko and maiko.

I don't think I can afford anything they'd usually get, like kanzashi, by myself. I was thinking more along the lines of cards/letters, small local gifts, etc; something just to say Ganbatte in the New Year.

Or am I being creepy? :/

Post subject: Re: Sending gifts to maiko/geiko..?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:18 am 
Okasan

Favorite Geiko: Fumino
Favorite Maiko: Momihina
I know this has happened before, there was a thread either here or on IG where someone sent a Maezashi (?) to a Maiko...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:03 am 
Atotori

Favorite Geiko: Katsuru Ichimari
Favorite Maiko: Mamefuji Mameroku
I think I read somewhere on IG that when Miehina was wearing sakkou some users got together and sent her a congrats card for her erikae (including a drawing of her wearing sakkou if I'm not mistaken). :?:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:18 pm 
Minarai
Minarai

I found Myloko's thread and I sent her a message :D thanks for the tip!

And I remember the Miehina discussion on IG, I think, but that was done through the photographer ewoodham who was in Japan for a while at the time.

I know it's fairly common for girls, before becoming maiko, to reach out to the okiya online. Komomo and Tomitsuyu come to mind immediately, but I think this also depends on the online presence of the okiya. The addresses are usually readily available, but I don't know if maybe mail goes through the Kenban?

Is anyone else interested in doing this? If so, I'm in the US, so if there are any other American fans who would like to send a card, letter, small gift, I wouldnt mind collecting the packages and sending them as one to save on shipping. Maybe some fans in other parts of the world could team up and send their own packages?

Just some thoughts!

It'd be kind of cool to set up an international fanclub that does this stuff regularly, like there are fanclubs for actors and musicians. Just another thought.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:39 pm 
Okasan

Favorite Geiko: Katsuna
I can manage it for Poland/Europe if someone is interested! Great idea Matsukaze! :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:46 pm 
Geiko
Geiko

Favorite Geiko: Umechika
Favorite Maiko: Umechie+Mamechika
I'm also in the U.S. would want to send something, but I don't know what I would send or what I could send without sounding corny or awkward.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:54 pm 
Minarai
Minarai

Awesome blanche :D Thank you!

I've decided to start a small club, if anyone is interested in making this a permanent/recurring thing. I'm hosting it on my small forum, Geijutsu Forever (I promise I am not trying to advertise!! :/ but I have no way to make a private board on TM, and I would feel safer if this were private, discussing mailing and karyukai business, etc). If you join, and check out my post in the Announcement board, there are more details there. But I'm also open to just doing something small. This is my little "manifesto" lol http://mikaeri-yanagi.tumblr.com/post/1 ... friends-of

Aww Umefuku! Remember, maiko are young teenage girls and they get nervous just like we all did XD. I think any sort of congratulations, you're beautiful and a great dancer, keep up the good work, etc would be welcome. As for gifts, I haven't thought of anything yet :oops: but where I live, in Massachusetts, the Japanese tourists looooove to buy cranberry stuff because cranberries don't grow in Japan and are a rare treat. I know from personal experience that the Japanese also consider maple stuff a treat, for you Canadians 8) . I would go for something small and unique to your area.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:30 pm 
Geiko
Geiko

What if we made a mokuroku for a maiko having her erikae next year? I think it would be cute if we added the flags for the countries we're from.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:48 pm 
Minarai
Minarai

Favorite Geiko: Tsunemomo + Tomitae
Favorite Maiko: Kanoyumi + Tomitsuyu
Aaawww,I've always wanted to send gifts to the Geiko and Maiko of Gion Higashi,but I never really knew what to send them or how :(

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:03 pm 
Minarai
Minarai

Umefuku wrote:
What if we made a mokuroku for a maiko having her erikae next year? I think it would be cute if we added the flags for the countries we're from.

That's a great idea!! :D Whose erikae is next year? Is it soon?

starboundbeast I think we can send stuff right to the okiya. I'm going to figure out the details asap.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:20 pm 
Geiko
Geiko

Satsuki is having her erikae on February 23rd, and it looks like Katsutomo will also have her erikae in February. Katsunosuke might be having hers in June and (fingers crossed) Ryouka in January. We could also do one for a Misedashi but I don't know any dates for the current minarai.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:51 am 
Minarai
Minarai

I'll keep those in mind :D I'm a big fan of Katsunosuke; she's already so elegant as a maiko and I can't wait to see her as a geiko. This new year will be awesome in the karyukai.

I just tried to email the Tomikiku and my email was automatically returned, saying "user is over quota" :?: not sure what this means, but I'll try again in a day or two.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:12 pm 
Shikomi
Shikomi

Favorite Geiko: Kosen Wakana Kotoha
Favorite Maiko: Tomitsuyu Umechie
blanche wrote:
I can manage it for Poland/Europe if someone is interested! Great idea Matsukaze! :)

I'm all in! :giggle: