It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:47 am

Welcome
Welcome to Tsuruko Maiko
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please join our growing community!

Post subject: Henshin law
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:57 am 
First Year Maiko
First Year Maiko

Favorite Geiko: Mamechiho Mayuha Mao
Favorite Maiko: Satsuki
I read somewhere (on a hungarian site) that henshin studios make those obvious dressing mistakes, in order to avoid perfect resemblance with real maiko. The Japanese gouvernment has a law in this point. The law is in favour of real maiko/ geiko, and the main ideea of the whole thing is, that geiko/maiko are perfect and henshin can't be compared with them.

What are your opinions concerning this? Have you heard about this law too?

Post subject: Re: Henshin law
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:06 pm 
Junior Maiko
Junior Maiko

Favorite Geiko: Fukuya_Fukunao
Favorite Maiko: Tanewaka_Fukusato
I've heard about it before too, but never that it was a law. I always figured it was some sort of unspoken rule. But then why would some henshin studios produce obviously better henshin than others? Does it have to do with the studio's specific skill, or?

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:40 am 
First Year Maiko
First Year Maiko

Favorite Geiko: Mamechiho Mayuha Mao
Some people on flickr said that economical situation always was and will be a problem....or they just don't care about the whole deal.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:11 pm 
Shikomi
Shikomi

I think that henshin studios have a somewhat condescending view of their clients, thinking that they won't know that they are getting a flawed geisha look. Most won't, but for those few who do, its really insulting.... The whole point of the exercise, after all, is to look JUST LIKE a geisha. Its not like the clients are allowed to go to an ozashiki and impersonate a geisha, thus sullying the geisha reputation with their inferior skills!
I wouldn't be surprised if there is some kind of a law- and if there isn't, there's an unspoken rule. I was a tourist in Kyoto and wanted to take a picture of some Maiko Henshin in front of a temple- i knew what they were, but they were cute. The studio's photographer physically elbowed me out of the way. Not an accident, in an empty plaza. Why??? I was obviously not associated with their party, so its not like i would sell them the picture at a cheaper price or anything. It has to be something to do with not 'passing off the pictures as actual geisha' by an uninformed tourist..... Right? What do you think?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:38 am 
Shikomi
Shikomi

Favorite Geiko: Katsuru Sayaka
Favorite Maiko: Kanoyumi Mameharu
i think it depends on the studio:
there are some dubious ones which, at least in my opinion, only want to make money and have no interest in authentic looks
:idea: but there are some reputable ones (for example the one ex-geiko katufumi is manages http://www.maikotaiken-katufumi.com/en/index.html ) who offer authentic henshin, but they won´t allow you to go outside in order to avoid tourits mistake you for a real maiko

i think that´s quite a good solution: you get to look like a real maiko but there are less -taking faikos for maikos- pictures on the internet

- Dr. Seuss

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:25 pm 
The Okasan
The Okasan

Favorite Geiko: Mamesuzu
There is a simple thing to do for helping people to make the difference between a true maiko and a henshin (very resemblant or not) : to write something like "I'm not a true maiko" on the kago of henshin at the place of the maiko's name. Then it would be very clear.

My avatar is a photo taken by Canonplanet :
http://www.flickr.com/photos/canondream/4527052848

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:34 pm 
Shikomi
Shikomi

you just found a market gap: henshin-kago

- Dr. Seuss

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:46 pm 
The Okasan
The Okasan

Favorite Geiko: Mamesuzu
kaatsuuuruuuu wrote:
you just found a market gap: henshin-kago

Totally ! I will create my society immediately !

My avatar is a photo taken by Canonplanet :
http://www.flickr.com/photos/canondream/4527052848

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:00 pm 
Shikomi
Shikomi

alright and i´ll start producing darari obi with 変身 instead of the mon :lol:

- Dr. Seuss

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:33 pm 
Shikomi
Shikomi

Instead of the nibonashi at the back of her neck, leave "変身" unpainted :wink:
Or engrave it into the sides of her okobo.