It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:57 am

Welcome
Welcome to Tsuruko Maiko
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please join our growing community!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

If you could be a geisha in a foreign Okiya would you:
Are you crazy?! Who wouldn't want to!? 45%  45%  [ 23 ]
Nope, too much work. 12%  12%  [ 6 ]
Well.... I'm not sure... 43%  43%  [ 22 ]
Total votes : 51
 Post subject: Re: What do you think about an Okiya outside of Japan?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:18 pm 
Shikomi
Shikomi

Favorite Geiko: Kikyuu
Favorite Maiko: Toshiteru
When I have dressed up as Geiko/Maiko I have had some guys in England be a bit like 'hey hey' but I think it is mainly ignorance that it stems from. As people get more used to seeing art expressed in this way they understand it. It just needs redefining gradually and delicately through direct experience in my opinion.
8)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:50 pm 
Shikomi
Shikomi

I concur with Hachiko, if you ever try in your town, count me in, I'll come =D

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:19 pm 
Shikomi
Shikomi

Here's our current facebook page Zaza... we have been very busy fundraising :-p
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hachisu-O ... 4704279519

Hachiko x

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:34 pm 
Misedashi
Misedashi

Favorite Geiko: Mineko and Wakana
Favorite Maiko: Tsuruha
As someone with a club styled as an okiya, we mostly lean on the educational aspect and the disambiguation of geisha and Japanese culture in general in a traditional entertainment way.

In other words: to update a previous post. Yes. I have an okiya in Canada. Yes, it's doing well. Ish. It's not like the Kyoto ones as they already have the background and we had to start from scratch. Not only that, while we do entertain, we also educate. It's also more of a cultural club than a business, although... I will not lie and say that the point is to also make a bit of extra money.

The funny part is that it's doing so well in an area where, on Canada Day (July 1st) the girls went out in their yukatas as the yukata's had maple leaves as motifs. Most people, at first, thought they had forgotten to put on their proper clothes and were therefore running around in their bathrobes. Only one family made the connection that it had anything to do with Asian culture, but that was as close as they were able to get. However, anyone who stopped, the girls and I were more than happy to educate them on what it was about and hand out business cards.

We actually fielded alot of questions that day, come to think about it. And Melodie even had a short interview on the radio when they were noticed to explain who we were and what we were doing.

The point is, outside of Japan, most of what an okiya will do is likely going to be more educational than a Japanese one. Not saying there isn't an educational aspect to a Japanese okiya or banquet, but usually the point of such an affair isn't education, lol...

But a successful "outside of Japan" okiya should likely concentrate on the education and entertainment over the straight entertainment.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:02 am 
Shikomi
Shikomi

Congratulations on your work Komiiro :D
Its wonderful isn't it, answering questions and education on the fly. And cannot avoid entertaining merely from the appearance of the colours of our lovely kimono and kanzashi.

I oftentimes prefer the times i go out as maiko as I end up having such wonderful conversations and it is surprising what sorts of networking opportunities come out of it.

From one Okiya provider to another :lol:

x

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:23 am 
Misedashi
Misedashi

Favorite Geiko: Mineko and Wakana
Favorite Maiko: Tsuruha
There's three of us right now, and we pooled our resources and talents on it so we split everything three ways. Eventually, we'd like to grow larger than that, but we're keeping it small on purpose so that we don't overgrow ourselves and bite off more than we can chew.

I think the fielding of questions on the fly is the best part of it, not to mention clearing up what a geisha is and most definitely is not... although, I take a certain enjoyment at Hallowe'en dressing up the other two and showing the bathrobe "geisha" how it's really done... only to say, "We're not actually Geisha... we're cultural enthusiasts!"

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:35 pm 
Shikomi
Shikomi

DameDiabolique wrote:
You got banned from IG for suggesting this? Well that is crazy...They need to get a life...Take a chill pill...

That would be cool to have a sort of Geisha culture in America, however, I would be afraid about how Americans would react to it.

they actually say in their forum rules not to mention anything about furisode-san or even the thought of one

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:05 am 
Minarai
Minarai

Re posts from Eternal Maiko Forums.

Quote:
As a kimono-san I never really liked calling my business and okiya. I always preferred to use the word troupe. I am rather uncomfortable with and personally prefer not to use the words okiya or ochiya in regards to my business. I prefer to refer to a group of more than one kimono-san as a troupe as we are not geisha. We never have been and never will be. I feel that referring to a kimono-san troupe as an okiya/ochiya is misleading to the customers and runs the risk of offending any possible contacts I may have with my local Japanese community, or any other Japaneses person for that mater. There by discrediting my company. I pride my self on attention to detail and on making sure that all aspects of my services are as respectful, authentic and traditional as possible. Every time that I present and portray the Japaneses arts and culture I strive to do so with the utmost respect. This is the core value that my company is bases on. With out it I am a sham and fraud and would not deserve to call my self a Kimono-San.

A true okiya or ochiya can not exist with out the hanamachi as it is an environment that is singular and unique to the grater Japanese cultural ecosystem.
I have engaged in self study for 12 years and I know that means nothing as far as the Japaneses are concerned. The reason I only offer Bon O dori dancing as apposed to any other form is because I have had training from a certified Japanese teacher. I have in fact bean considering removing tea ceremony from my list of serves for this exact same reason.

We can not honor the dance and culture with out proper training nor can we preserve a cultural that we are not part of. Kimono-san are not Japanese. We do not exist in Japan nor are we recognized by the Japanese as an thing but gijin. The Japanese have no wish to immortalize the tradition of geisha outside Japan nor will thay ever recognize a western okiya/ochiya no mater how good thay are because thay are not Japanese.

Any one saying that thay own or run an okiya/ochiya in the west that is not a kimono-san or claims to be a western geisha is is a disrespectful conman, delusional or both.

ANA'S IKIMARU KIMONO FORUM.
http://ikimaru.board-directory.net/t90- ... eat-debate

My apologies for the rant. This has become a bit of a sore spot with me because such people have made it harder on me to do business. Many people have seen the disrespectful actions of such "western geisha" and thay think that I am the same. I only rarely dress as a geisha or a maiko because of this. I only dress up like that for the big Japanese festival or on customer request. I can not stand the idea of giving the wrong imprecision. I normally just dress like what I really am, a normal unmarried lady in kimono. This can range from an every day yukata to a formal crested furisode.

Quote:
Conman = Someone that knowingly represents themselves as possessing credentials thay do not have. In this case someone who knows that thay lack the proper credentials and does not recognized the rules of the group that issues said credentials.

Delusional= Someone that believes that thay have the credentials when in fact thay never did.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7