It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 3:04 am

Welcome
Welcome to Tsuruko Maiko
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please join our growing community!

Post subject: Re: Mizuage - myth, or reality?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:58 am 
Shikomi
Shikomi

Favorite Geiko: Katsuru Sayaka
Favorite Maiko: Kanoyumi Mameharu
okay i was quite sure that mizuage was the defloration of a maiko ( a painful but necessary step) before the anti-prostitution laws and the change from junior to senior maiko nowadays..... but after i reread mineko iwasakis book i´m a little confused.....
in the book she claims that mizuage is the term for a maikos/geikos earnings in the previous year. she did had one of the highest mizuage, but only because she was the most popular maiko = most earnings
:? i never heard of this explanation, did somebody else???

- Dr. Seuss

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:33 pm 
Minarai
Minarai

Favorite Geiko: Sayaka - Satsuki
Favorite Maiko: Marika
kaatsuuuruuuu wrote:
okay i was quite sure that mizuage was the defloration of a maiko ( a painful but necessary step) before the anti-prostitution laws and the change from junior to senior maiko nowadays..... but after i reread mineko iwasakis book i´m a little confused.....
in the book she claims that mizuage is the term for a maikos/geikos earnings in the previous year. she did had one of the highest mizuage, but only because she was the most popular maiko = most earnings
:? i never heard of this explanation, did somebody else???

Acctualy she explained that Mizuage is a comming of age, sort of the 16th birthday for the Westeners. It shows how a girl progresses. What she means with highest Mizuage is that she had the most big celebration. As she was popular she was very celebrated. ^^

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:03 pm 
Shikomi
Shikomi

Favorite Geiko: Katsuru Sayaka
Favorite Maiko: Kanoyumi Mameharu
in the book it says both..... i have a german version and on page 220 it says: "the term we use for our overallearnings is mizuage (not to be mistaken for the mizuage ceremony). on the 7th of january the geiko with the highest mizuage of the previous year is officially valued in the nyokoba-school.in my first year i recieved the award."

she talks about the wareshinobu-to-ofuku mizuage (wich would be the mizuage ceremony) a little later

maybe its the same term for those two different things....
anyhow it would explain why arthur golden claimed that mineko iwasaki told him that she had the "highest mizuage"....and that he had it on tape
maybe she really said that, but he thought about the wrong "mizuage-meaning" :?:

- Dr. Seuss