It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:46 am

Welcome
Welcome to Tsuruko Maiko
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please join our growing community!

Post subject: Japanese antiques (?) What have I found?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:47 am 
Shikomi
Shikomi

Today I visited a second-hand store, which also sells a lot of antiques, the kind of stuffs grandma has in her closet.

In my region the Japanese culture means just rickety Cons selling chinese toys, so I was impressed to find some real japanese things at that store. You can see the pics here (my blog, is in spanish but I barely explain the same here in a resume :P)

About the porcelain doll I'm intrigued what is she. Don't think she's a random kimono-girl. Wearing hiki, tabi, two sensu, an obi knot that isn't the common taiko and the nihon-gami... what is she?

And the box, think that's a jewel case or to keep make up and that fancy stuffs. Am I right?

:: Failure does not make us smaller, it forces us to consider the distance between us and our dreams :: -H. Toledano

Post subject: Re: Japanese antiques (?) What have I found?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:25 am 
Minarai
Minarai

Favorite Geiko: MG KTsuru GK Mchiho
Favorite Maiko: GK Ayano Kyouka
She's not a maiko that's for sure. The obi looks like a modified form the tsunodashi musubi like this from Sarcasm-hime's photostream: http:[email protected]/1836663081/in/set-72157607086052339/. It could also be a symmetrical version of the kouken or chidori musubi like the furisode-san in Tokyo wear.

I think that's a jewel case too but for that particular mon (last picture), I can't really identify it. It looks like a bird of some kind but I can't say which one in particular. I haven't really seen that one, it must be either an uncommon mon or an original mon that the artist made.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:13 am 
They are normal women, so it's the kamon of their family. And many families have the same one because some kamon are current (even if thousands of differents kamon exist).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favorite Geiko: Ichisayo
Favorite Maiko: Mamesome
Hello!

The first piece is just a bit of post-war import piece from Japan. It's probably from the 1960's and is meant to portray a Geisha. The import companies at that time were US owned, so, they often used their own designs rather than make things traditional or authentic. There are some, but, goodluck in finding them. Pre-war Japanese imports are usually more authentic by nature. Try finding some lithopane demitasse ;3.

The second piece I believe is either an incense holder or a potpourri holder. I'd say it was late Meiji or Taisho in terms of age.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:30 pm 
Shikomi
Shikomi

Woow thanks everyone for the help.
So the porcelain piece is a "geisha" according to the american, rather a maiko because the long sleeves... anyway.
I'm going to put in the box the potpurri I already have in my lobby, it should work fine :3 And.. isn't the kamon a phoenix? Dun'now much a lot of kamon but I pretend to learn a bit more.

:: Failure does not make us smaller, it forces us to consider the distance between us and our dreams :: -H. Toledano

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:12 am 
Shikomi
Shikomi

repost! reason: New antiques!

I think I'm getting an eye to recognise japanese things. I Found this at the same store, those were just arrived merchandise, directly from the store owner's grandma's vault.

But what have I found?
I pray this is a chawan, is it?

And this is...?
Isn't it for storing the matcha?
on the top it has this matching cup

Solved!: this is for storing rice.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favorite Geiko: Ichisayo
Favorite Maiko: Mamesome
I don't think the bowl is a chawan. It doesn't look quite big enough, and the base ring looks too big in comparison to the rest of the bowl. Also, the blueware is usually not used for chawan. You could probably use it as a practice chawan, but it's most likely a rice bowl!

Your rice storing container with measuring cup is quite neat though! Useful too! I think I need to start posting pictures of my own finds!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:32 am 
Shikomi
Shikomi

of course, Tsuruko! It would be lovely you to share your collection! :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:49 pm 
Minarai
Minarai

I have to agree with the prior mention that the one round case with holes at the top is for incense. It might even be for draping a kimono over top to infuse with incense smoke. If the interior is plain metal it most certainly would be such a thing to me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:45 pm 
Shikomi
Shikomi

I found a mass-produced mizusashi (tea ceremony cold water jar) at an antique store labeled "collectible cookie jar." I tried to tell the lady who ran the store what it really was, suggesting she could mark up the price from $9. I already had one, so I wasn't in the market. Well, she just ignored me. So...a day later I came back and bought it, thinking I could resell. Then I took it to a Japanese festival where the Japanese club was having a booth in which club members could sell their stuff. When I unwrapped the piece I noticed a hairline crack in the rim...so I gave up my dreams of profit and resold it for what I had paid. Someone got a good deal on a practice piece. ;o)

I only had it in my posession for about a day, so I didn't take a picture...but it was like this

though with this pattern

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:58 pm 
Shikomi
Shikomi

It was very nice ;)
I'm the kind of person who would've bought it haha