It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:35 am

Welcome
Welcome to Tsuruko Maiko
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please join our growing community!

Post subject: My perfect geimyo
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:13 pm 
Atotori

Favorite Geiko: Katsuru Ichimari
Favorite Maiko: Mamefuji Mameroku
Ok, so this is like an extension of the If you were to become a maiko-san... thread, but this time it's about geimyo. What would be your perfect geimyo? (you can include more than one) Would it represent your personality, or you just like some of the lines in different okiya? Feel free to debate and say what you think. If you have no idea what options you can have or what certain endings mean, please visit this site. It is very helpful. Enjoy! :)
P.S. If a similar thread already exists, feel free to delete mine.
So I'll start:
If I were a maiko in Gion Kobu I would like my geimyo to be Hinazuru because crane is an auspicious motif that would probably bring me some luck :wink:
If I were a maiko in Gion Higashi I would like my geimyo to be Tomimatsu (because I like the Tomi- line) :giggle:
If I were a maiko in Pontocho I would like my geimyo to be Ichiryu (just because there are not enough maiko with the -ryu ending which I really like)
If I were a maiko in Kamishichiken I would like my geimyo to be Katsuaki (because I like Daimonji okiya and autumn is my favorite season)
If I were a maiko in Miyagawacho I would like my geimyo to be Mieteru (it would be nice if I could be imouto of Miehina)
If I made some mistakes, please correct me. :thanks: :)

Post subject: Re: My perfect geimyo
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:10 pm 
Okasan

Favorite Geiko: Katsuna
Well, I've always wanted to be a part of "ha" line in Gion. But also I love "Teru" sufix, so maybe Teruha? Also, I like the idea of my real name combined into the geimyo, so definitely everything with "mari" ^^ I like kanji 莉利 (jasmine, benefit) and 真理(true/buddist/reality, justice/truth/logic/reason)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:24 pm 
Okasan

Favorite Geiko: Fumino
Favorite Maiko: Momihina
I'm very fond of oldschool names, like the -nosuke and -tarô suffix. Or the "Uta-" prefix (i think it's the same "uta" like for "song").

Kikunosuke sounds very cool IMO. And there are many kanji variations 菊之介, 菊之石, or 菊乃助. Gion Kobu had a Kikunosuke (菊之助) in the 50's and currently there's a Kabuki actor named Onoe Kikunosuke but I don't know his kanji.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:41 pm 
Minarai
Minarai

Favorite Geiko: Tsunemomo + Tomitae
Favorite Maiko: Kanoyumi + Tomitsuyu
Oh boy,where do I start?
I'm only familiar with Gion Higashi okiyas:
Kanoya: Kanoyume (叶夢) (sounds similar to "Kanoyumi",my all-time favorite ♥)
Okatome: Mika (美花/美香) (I was born September 21st,which is the first day of Spring in the Southern Hemisphere.Spring = Flowers and fragrances),Mikako (美花子/美歌子 (great for a Jikata :wink: ))
Shigenoya: Tsunehana (つね花) (Same.Spring,flowers,etc.)
Tomikiku: Tomichika (富千花) (I'll never get tired of the Flower kanji,hahaha :lol: )
Fukuya: Tsuruha (つる羽,つる葉),Tsuruka (つる花/つる香/つる歌)
I'll stop here before I go in a geimei making craze @_@

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:28 pm 
Okasan

Favorite Geiko: Fumino
Favorite Maiko: Momihina
@starboundbeast: unrelated to the topic, but: Fukuya? Do you have more infos on this particular okiya perhaps?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:32 pm 
Minarai
Minarai

Favorite Geiko: Tsunemomo + Tomitae
Favorite Maiko: Kanoyumi + Tomitsuyu
Skygge wrote:
@starboundbeast: unrelated to the topic, but: Fukuya? Do you have more infos on this particular okiya perhaps?

Not much really :/
The only things I know are: Fukuya (福家) is one of the oldest establishments in GH
It is located close to Gion Kaikan,Kanoya Ochaya and Sakaemasa Ochaya
One of the name lines (if there is more) is "Tsuru-"
It is listed in both websites: http://gion-east.jp/tomikiku/
http://www.gionhigashi.com/intro.html

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:18 pm 
Shikomi
Shikomi

Favorite Geiko: Kosen Wakana Kotoha
Favorite Maiko: Tomitsuyu Umechie
Oh, I have a lot I would love :D I'm chooseing them more about their meaning, than position in modern karyuukai

Hinazuru - hina means something tiny like a doll, so very cute, and with a lucky, classical crane
Hisasuzu - I love bells (metal bells, bell-shaped flowers like lilly of the walley), and hisa sounds poetic, you know, the time-things
Umechie - it's elegant and adoult (wise plum), but sounds very cute at the same time
Hisae - this is definitelly on the elegant and classical side (eternal glory), I love how distinguished it sounds
Chiyoteru - eternal light - for me, it sounds like hope, strenght and kindness.

Parts I like and would like to include in other names:
Ryu - oh, come on, who doesn't like dragons :D
Hina - dolls, tiny things, cuteness
Hisa - I just like time-related words
Suzu
Ume
Mame
Tsuki or Hoshi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:52 pm 
Jikata
Jikata

I love choosing geimei. :chuuu:

I had already posted my favorite geimei in that other thread, but that's been two years ago and I've mostly changed my mind. ^^

If I were a maiko in Gion Kobu I'd like my name to be Teruko 照子 or Momika もみ佳.
If I were a maiko in Gion Higashi I'd like my name to be Tomie 富愛, Kosaki 小咲 or Tsuneriki つね力.
If I were a maiko in Miyagawacho I'd like my name to be Kimie 君愛, Kimitae 君愛* or Fukunae ふく苗.
If I were a maiko in Pontocho I'd like my name to be Shinami 志名美 or Momika もみ佳.
If I were a maiko in Kamishichiken I'd like my name to be Umetoyo 梅とよ or Satoei 里栄.

I love the Teru-, Tomi, Momi- and Kimi prefixes. I prefer short names with kanji that aren't used (much) nowadays: Kimie and Satoei are examples of this. I got the -ei suffix from the name Miyoei from the movie Gion Bayashi and loved it so much that I just had to use it. ^^

*Reihana's idea.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:18 pm 
Minarai
Minarai

I love the trend of bringing back older, more masculine names. Like Katsunosuke, Momotarou, Fukutarou, etc. Sometimes a new girl debuts and her name is just dripping with cuteness and sweetness that it seems like the Okaasan doesn't expect her to become a grown woman in the karyuukai... I usually trust the names that sound more timeless.

I'd want something masculine, like Toranosuke (tora being tiger), or to even go so far as take a kabuki actor's name, like Utaemon or Shibajaku. I think it's either Lesley Downer or Liza Dalby that mentions a geisha who chose the name Kikugoro, after the kabuki actor she loved so much.

I like Tayuu naming conventions, which are flamboyant and often historical: Yoshino, Katsuyama, Murasaki, Takasago... If I were a Tayuu I'd want to be Matsukaze (wind in the pines) after the Noh play.