It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 10:41 pm

Welcome
Welcome to Tsuruko Maiko
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please join our growing community!

Post subject: Iris Kanzashi, Hair, PSEUDOHAORIS!? i´ve gone insane !!
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:44 am 
Shikomi
Shikomi

Favorite Geiko: Tsunemomo Kikutsuru
Greetings Tsuruko Maiko Peeps! Im absolutely new on this forum, and im very excited to meet you all!...

Well! theres a Japanese culture festival coming up, and im trying my best to find an outfit for that event. My main concern is the motif and the how-to aspects of the kanzashi that i plan on making for that day.

After some research and some reading here, i liked the idea of an iris motif (the festival is on July) for the Kanzashi, and a Blue-violet color (or maybe a turquoise) for my "PseudoHaori". ( Im not really planning on making a yukata since i look absolutely ridiculous in them, so im working on a Longer version of a Haori to wear over western clothes)

My idea is to make a really nice Statement Kanzashi piece, with a very traditional look. While keeping the clothes "westernized". I would love to do falls but im not sure how weird it would look on me with my pseudo haori.

So, if you guys could please guide me through this,
- is the motif alright for the month?
-is there a hairstyle that would work for Kanzashi with falls without it looking like i just glued a big ball of flowers and dangles on my head?
-Any tips on what petal shapes should i use, and specially how do i do the leaves?

Im very fond of japanese culture and i want to make this a very respectful tribute to it, i dont want to look like im trying to be Japanese or something around those lines, nor evading all the symbology around every aspect of traditional Japanese Attires.

Im sorry for making this so long, and i apologize for my grammar and spelling mistakes since English is not my Native Language.

Thank you for time! Ookini!!

Post subject: Re: Iris Kanzashi, Hair, PSEUDOHAORIS!? i´ve gone insane !!
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:23 pm 
Junior Maiko
Junior Maiko

Favorite Geiko: Kyouka Manaha
Favorite Maiko: Mameteru Katsunosuke
hanamachi wrote:
Greetings Tsuruko Maiko Peeps! Im absolutely new on this forum, and im very excited to meet you all!...

Well! theres a Japanese culture festival coming up, and im trying my best to find an outfit for that event. My main concern is the motif and the how-to aspects of the kanzashi that i plan on making for that day.

After some research and some reading here, i liked the idea of an iris motif (the festival is on July) for the Kanzashi, and a Blue-violet color (or maybe a turquoise) for my "PseudoHaori". ( Im not really planning on making a yukata since i look absolutely ridiculous in them, so im working on a Longer version of a Haori to wear over western clothes)

My idea is to make a really nice Statement Kanzashi piece, with a very traditional look. While keeping the clothes "westernized". I would love to do falls but im not sure how weird it would look on me with my pseudo haori.

So, if you guys could please guide me through this,
- is the motif alright for the month?
-is there a hairstyle that would work for Kanzashi with falls without it looking like i just glued a big ball of flowers and dangles on my head?
-Any tips on what petal shapes should i use, and specially how do i do the leaves?

Im very fond of japanese culture and i want to make this a very respectful tribute to it, i dont want to look like im trying to be Japanese or something around those lines, nor evading all the symbology around every aspect of traditional Japanese Attires.

Im sorry for making this so long, and i apologize for my grammar and spelling mistakes since English is not my Native Language.

Thank you for time! Ookini!!

Iris is a motif for May. Perhaps the kanzashi-calendar of geisha-kai can help you. There you can see maiko-kanzashi according to month, and there are also some statement pieces for July, like fireworks.
http://geisha-kai.tumblr.com/post/10078549192
I think firework kanzashi would also be easier to make, because they are mostly made out of silver wire and rhinestones, like this one here https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3382/3219334263_1ac339eb89.jpg

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:13 pm 
Shikomi
Shikomi

are there any neutral motifs?

Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/halcyondiseno
instagram: @Halcyon_d

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:40 am 
Junior Maiko
Junior Maiko

Favorite Geiko: Kyouka Manaha
Favorite Maiko: Mameteru Katsunosuke
hanamachi wrote:
are there any neutral motifs?

You mean for the whole year? The only neutral which comes to my mind right now are the windmill kanzashi of minarai
https:[email protected]/60338865
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/236x/da/fa/d0/dafad001dc29e20231056221a026b05e.jpg

Also some other minarai kanzashi seem to be more neutral and can be worn throughout the year.

Also maiko's sakko kanzashi with cranes and other motives can be worn the whole year.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:23 am 
Shikomi
Shikomi

Favorite Geiko: Kosen Wakana Kotoha
Favorite Maiko: Tomitsuyu Umechie
Maybe think about what kind of flower is in bloom in your area in june, and match it with it? This maybe wouldn't be same as japanese seasonall motifs, but will be nature-related and with seasonall spirit. Just like we do with types of kimono - many people wear sha/ro/hitoe not exactly when Japanese people do, but when they find it too hot for awase :P

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:09 am 
Shikomi
Shikomi

Kikyou wrote:
Maybe think about what kind of flower is in bloom in your area in june, and match it with it?

i thought about this, but i wasnt sure haha, in my country we only have rainy and dry season, so most flowers are available all year long. I was thinking maybe orchids, since my country is quite famous for them.

Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/halcyondiseno
instagram: @Halcyon_d