It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:12 pm

Welcome
Welcome to Tsuruko Maiko
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please join our growing community!

Post subject: Hello from America!!!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:18 pm 
Shikomi
Shikomi

Favorite Geiko: Miehina + Chisako
Favorite Maiko: Tomitsuyu + Mamefuji
Hello All,

My Name is Jim Hantsch, 57 years old Male living in Santa Monica CA. USA.

I have traveled to Japan 3 times. I have many Japanese friends there from all over the country. I have been to Gion but for only a two day trip. I have visited many shrines, temples and shown many historical areas.

I have a great interest in Japanese culture, but really looking to gain education about the Geiko and Maiko culture. I would like to do a language / culture exchange with one of these girls if at all possible. Maybe a retired girl looking to learn english to help here career.

Look forward to using this forum to educate myself in this very interested subject.

Thanks for your time.

Jim

Last edited by Maikoguy on Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Hello from America!!!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:33 pm 
Maiko
Maiko

Favorite Geiko: Eriha Kofuku
Favorite Maiko: Konami Mameaki
Welcome to the forums, Jim :) !

Unfortunately, I don't think you'll be able to penpal with a maiko. They have incredibly rigorous schedules (2 days off a month is the standard, I think); early mornings and late nights. Other than the obvious time issue, their okiya and ochaya are private establishments and their world has an etiquette all its own, which more than likely wouldn't allow such a thing.

But, you can follow the Japanese bloggers and other social media accounts and communicate with their world that way. Do you know any Japanese? Tell us about your interest in the geisha world :D new faces are rare here

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:50 pm 
Shikomi
Shikomi

Favorite Geiko: Miehina + Chisako
Favorite Maiko: Tomitsuyu + Mamefuji
Thanks Shizuka for the helpful information.

Yes I have many Japanese friends mostly women, but none have the interests I do about this subject.

Maybe I should try to find a girl that has retired.

Thanks Again!!!

Jim

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:53 am 
Junior Maiko
Junior Maiko

Hey maikoguy! Welcome to the forum. There are some users on here who have SO MUCH knowledge, it's crazy.

Gee, most of my favourite geiko and maiko have retired. Suzuha, Katsuyakko, Momokazu, Manaha, Wakana, Mamekiku (that one still hurts a lot ;_;), Fukukimi, Tanewaka. It's just the nature of things. Thinking about them makes me sad! I wonder where all of them are and how they're doing, but trying to contact anyone is just not on. We must respect their privacy.

EDIT: Removed all the names of those who retired due to marriage that I know of.