It is currently Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:41 pm

Welcome
Welcome to Tsuruko Maiko
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please join our growing community!

Post subject: Gift Giving
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:42 am 
Senior Maiko
Senior Maiko

Favorite Geiko: KikunoMiehinaHisacho
Favorite Maiko: KatsunaMomifukuMame.
As you all may know, gift giving in Japan is HUGE!
every time you have someone over to your house you give and gift and also are supposed to get one in return
Sounds expensive....

Anyways the reason why I am asking is because when I go there this spring :D
I want to be prepared with gifts.

Can you guys help me brainstorm of cool and unique (also preferably cheap) gifts I can give to people I meet there?
maybe specific to the United States or Arizona/Minnesota <- where I'm from

Post subject: Re: Gift Giving
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:49 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favorite Geiko: Ichisayo
Favorite Maiko: Mamesome
The preferred type of gifts are consumables. A lot of Japanese houses are small, and therefore don't have tons of room for things. Beyond that, if you're giving something to someone older, this applies even more so. I usually get my dance teacher some confections and a pack of new haneri for the holidays. She cooks down here in Florida, and I know she goes through them pretty quickly! So, considerate things like that, that says, "You're my friend, I know these things about you and know you can use this."

Chocolates and cookies, and things like that, are quite appreciated as well as a little note of your consideration and thanks for them being there, being your friends, etc. Sometimes I will buy nice incense too, because it's hard to get over here, but I do have some channels for getting some things from several of the kimono sellers. As I said, consumables are often best. Incense would classify as such.

If you're going over and you think things like incense might be appreciated, you can get some area specific brands. I know there's a couple South Western companies who make some very nice all natural sage incense that wouldn't be found over in Japan. Just be careful to get anything that's free of junk, all natural all the way, as that is how Japanese incense is. ( I also give my non-Japanese friends incense, especially the ones who are normally sensitive to incense(but sigh and say they wish they could burn incense ), because everyone finds that the Japanese stuff is so good and pure, that they don't have a single issue with it! )

Some good quality tea will be appreciated as well. If you have a tea shop or something around that makes their own blends, that can be very thoughtful and well appreciated. Every time I'm in Chicago, I bring back a bunch of tea for the ladies and it goes over well, and since I'm usually up in the winter, it corresponds well with the holidays. If you're buying Japanese tea, buy tea from Shizuoka, as it's renowned for having the best tea in Japan. If you're in a Japanese tea shop and don't know how to find it, just ask the store owner what he or she has from Shizuoka. It again shows consideration and knowledge of what is good. Sort of like Downer and Confections in Gion, ne?

Gifts should always be small(but high quality!), whatever the case, but thoughtful and meaningful. There's also a certain degree of self-degradation when presenting, like, "Oh, this is just a little something I thought you might like."

Post subject: Re: Gift Giving
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:47 pm 
Senior Maiko
Senior Maiko

Favorite Geiko: KikunoMiehinaHisacho
Favorite Maiko: KatsunaMomifukuMame.
Gah, sorry I am so late at replying Tsuruko. But I thank you deeply for your help with this. I can't help but over think what is good/acceptable and what is not. I want to buy interesting one of a kind craft/local tea or chocolate whatever but I simply can't decide when it comes time.I don't want to offend anyone with maybe some crappy tea or treats. I still will probably give out jewelry to my closest friends when I make them.

Do japanese people drink much コーヒ? haha

I did buy a bag of wild rice from here in Minnesota. I can just imagine their faces when I tell them that's the rice we eat. I'm sure they will be perplexed by it. haha. Would they have much use for syrup? They sell natural stuff straight from the tree up here...