It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:43 am

Welcome
Welcome to Tsuruko Maiko
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please join our growing community!

Post subject: Discussion of the Week: So Unfair!
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favorite Geiko: Ichisayo
Favorite Maiko: Mamesome
So, finally, returning with the discussion of the week ( or month, or whatever, discussion of the week is just catchy :P )

Anyways, the topic regards about the fairness in the Hanamachi. As we’ve heard, we know geiko like Fukumomo and Maiko like Kimichiyo have been practically forced to retire over their health. What are your thoughts and feelings on this? Is it fair to expect a Geisha to lose her career over something she has so little control of? Or do you maybe think these two examples are maybe just extreme examples of what goes on in the Hanamachi?

What are your opinions regarding Kyoto vs. Tokyo or any other Hanamachi in their own conduct in matters concerning Geisha health?

-Or- Feel free to discuss what you think is entirely unfair in the Hanamachi ( Not just Kyoto. ).

Discuss!

Post subject: Re: Discussion of the Week: So Unfair!
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:59 pm 
I find strange and don't understand that a jikata geiko like Fukumomo can be forced to retire, because jikata geiko are more and more rare...

It's exaggerated to 'fire' maiko or geiko if they have a health problem, they become so few numerous that some patience would be a better solution to my opinion.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:02 pm 
Junior Maiko
Junior Maiko

Favorite Geiko: Fukuya_Fukunao
Favorite Maiko: Tanewaka_Fukusato
To me, it isn't an issue of fairness. It makes sense, but it's rather unpleasant :/ Like any other profession, if you can no longer perform up to par you're going to be replaced sooner or later. If it is a temporary sickness, I'm sure these women have the compassion to give the person in question some time off. But, for permanent/degenerating sicknesses, the woman's performance will suffer and it could worsen the condition if she strains herself. This may sound callous, but if I'm paying around $200 an hour, it has to be worth it and I'm sure both parties feel the same way. I think arumukos has a few pictures of a retired geiko or two who still comes to hang out at ozashiki for the conversational aspect of the entertainment, so there may be hope there? Japan has a very strong family-oriented mentality, and while the sick woman may not want to retire just yet, she may see it as necessary for the well-being of the group.

What I find unfair is that the women in the karyuukai aren't better prepared for retirement, because from what I understand, it's meant to be a life-long vocation. Jikata geiko Danyuu began her training at the age of 6, and she said that in the karyuukai they make it so the girl realizes she can do nothing else. For the older women, they may able to get set up teaching, or receive money from the government (I'm not sure how that works in Japan?). The younger girls and women have it the hardest I think, depending how much time they've spent away from the world outside their hanamachi, making it difficult to re-integrate in a way other than marriage.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:45 am 
Yes, Kikuyo points out the true problem : if a permanent/degenerating sickness doesn't allow a geiko to perform anymore it will be hard for her to reintegrate the 'outside' world despite all she has learnt during her years of training as maiko and after as geiko.
But if it's a temporally sickness or wound, I think that it's possible and normal to give to the geiko a rest the time to be cured.