It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 3:07 am

Welcome
Welcome to Tsuruko Maiko
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please join our growing community!

Post subject: Discussion of the Week: Geisha for Halloween?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favorite Geiko: Ichisayo
Favorite Maiko: Mamesome
Okay, this is something that seriously keeps popping up, whether I'm perusing normal news or not.

Here, let me present this:

There are several other posters out there for this movement, but obviously this one is most pertaining to our discussion at hand.

I've seen several sides of the argument already.

- Geisha not indicative of Japanese culture, so it's okay. Bad costume or not.

- Geisha not indicative of Japanese culture, but not okay for a bad, inauthentic costume. An authentic costume is aok.

- Dressing as a Geisha is not okay. At all. It says bad things.

- Dressing in kimono is okay.

- Dressing in kimono is not okay as it reduces the kimono to nothing more than a costume.

- Dressing in a kimono is never okay. Even outside of Halloween. It's cultural appropriation.

Now, I'm not expressing my opinion quite yet, though I'm sure some of the bias can already be seen. I'm terribly terrible, I know.

That said, on the walk to class, I saw a gal in the blue and black, dragon mini dress 'Geisha costume.' Oh deary.

So, what's everyone's thoughts? Please, be in depth! :)

Post subject: Re: Discussion of the Week: Geisha for Halloween?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:58 pm 
Okasan
Okasan

I've seen this campaign and at first I understood that the problem is not wearing a kimono (in this case) but how the costume reduces a whole culture to a ridiculous and stereotyped cliché (which in the case of the Arabian culture was really offensive, portaying Muslims as terrorists).

I guess the message here is not actually "Don't wear a kimono at all" but rather "Kimono is not a costume but an actual dress and should be worn with respect". I hope what's implied in this poster is not "Don't ever dare to wear a kimono at all if you're not Japanese", otherwise some of us here would be guilty ;), but I think that's not actually the case here.

Having said that, I completely agree with this campaign (I've seen the culture from my own country stereotyped and mistaken a thousand times, so I think I understand the feeling...).

I hope I made my thoughts clear, as English is not my language :sweat:

Edit to add: I know I left the geisha out of the equation. I don't know what to think of that... But I guess for some people geisha are the only people in Japan who still wear kimono (look for the word "geisha" into Flickr and you'll see lots of average girls in kimono misstagged as geisha), so these two elements go together: wearing a kimono means you're being dressed up as a geisha.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:50 am 
Shikomi
Shikomi

Favorite Geiko: Umeha
Favorite Maiko: Koyoshi
I have to agree with Mousy, it seems to indicate that one should wear kimono with respect. I know some still wear kimono in Japan that are not geisha from youtube videos I've seen but it seems to be related mostly to the geisha.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:11 pm 
Atotori

Favorite Geiko: Katsuru Ichimari
Favorite Maiko: Mamefuji Mameroku
Enlai wrote:
I have to agree with Mousy, it seems to indicate that one should wear kimono with respect. I know some still wear kimono in Japan that are not geisha from youtube videos I've seen but it seems to be related mostly to the geisha.

I totally agree. If you wear a kimono wear it with respect and wear it properly...

I hate when people wear something traditional (without knowing anything about it) wrong. :x They think that they are cool, but they don't realize how funny they are in the eyes of people who know something about it...