It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:06 am

Welcome
Welcome to Tsuruko Maiko
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please join our growing community!

Post subject: Changes and Feedback for 11-20-10
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:33 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favorite Geiko: Ichisayo
Favorite Maiko: Mamesome
Hello guys!

We've been doing some much needed adjustments to the board, but we've still got a lot to do.

Please welcome ~Mariko~ to our moderating team. We're hoping to have yet one more moderator to keep up with posts and help us clean up the dust around here, we're just waiting on her response. ;)

We have added a new subforum to our library for our photo topics, this should make the library a bit easier to navigate.

Also, subforums have been added to the Maiko and Geiko gallery by district. That should clean up things -a lot-. Please do fill out the Higashi and Kamishichiken and Pontocho sections, they're a bit sparse. ;)

Feedback time! We're thinking of booting the photo threads in flower and willow ( like sakkou, erikae, day off ) to the Maiko & Geiko, because Flower and Willow is -so- inundated, and the front forum of Maiko and Geiko is not. What are your thoughts?

Time for a header change, yay or nay? When I first used this image from a scan of mine, it wasn't used so much, but now I am seeing it pop up elsewhere, and maybe it's time for something a little new and fresh. Thoughts there?

Currently, among the moderating team, the consensus is that the Horrible Henshin thread should go bye-bye. We are worrying about it and the way it makes our forum look, at the same time, there is some fun to be had, and we don't want to upset anyone, at the same time, it could potentially upset others not on this board, or potential members to be. Right now, consider the Henshin thread on probation. Please, please, no pictures of kitsuke experiments or anything done by people on their own time. -Studio only- We will need to consult with our new moderator(s) about what they think, but we also want to know what the rest of the members think about the henshin thread. Should it stay or should it go?

Also, other thoughts are really appreciated, don't be shy, we're not going to beat anyone down with a ban hammer if you express your thoughts. ;3 If you've asked something and we've forgotten or such, do feel free to jot them down here again, it'll make it a lot easier for us to remember if we have one thread of ideas to work with! <3

Thanks everyone! Please do post! Your feedback and suggestions mean a lot to us!
Tsuruko

Post subject: Re: Changes and Feedback for 11-20-10
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:03 pm 
Minarai
Minarai

1. I am watching the forum from 'new messages' button, so I don't care about moving topics.

2. Why not to add seasonal changes instead of changing the whole header? Some momiji or rice will give the forum the fall'ish impression. I personally love the symbol of Tsurukomaiko.

3. You definetely should not delete thr henshin thread! There you can see the typical mistakes of the henshins ))

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:33 pm 
Atotori-Moderator-San
Atotori-Moderator-San

Favorite Geiko: Takasuzu and Sakiko
Favorite Maiko: Ayano and Ayako
first of all, i'm really happy to be part of this forum and i hope i can help you guys. <3 i really want this to be THE place for finding information about maiko and geiko and i think we're on a good way.

i think the idea of moving the erikae etc. topics to another place is wonderful, but why not moving them to a general 'kagai news' topic? just my idea.

talking about the henshin thread, i would like to replace it with a general thread about henshin. it's important for us to show the differences between and maiko and a henshin and how to tell them apart and it would also be interesting to know where a good henshin place is and share information like that, instead of halloween costumes.

about the header, i really like it and i think i would miss it, i also like the purple :3 but i would be open to see what you maybe thought of? maybe i would like one of those even more? (*_*)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:17 pm 
Toshi No Miya

Favorite Geiko: Naokazu + Suzuko
Favorite Maiko: Tsuruha
The "show the worst henshin pictures you find in the internet" should be taken down. You never know who is watching and perhaps a person who did a henshin finds himself/herself in this topic and that is really bad for us. They lived their dream of being a maiko for one day, it doesn't matter to them (to most i suppose) if it was accurate kitsuke or not.

the henshin topic should be (in my opinion) a quick note what is henshin, differences to the real maikos, the really good henshins photos you can find in japanese sites and perhaps a listing of places where you can do it, if u want good quality henshin. (so looking for pple who already did it and perhaps giving their feedback.)

i think turing the forum into seasonal styling is a pretty good idea.
We could customize the buttons too! that would make us unique... we already have our own emotes, so why not buttons?

some rank-pictures for the mods? :)

What changes could we make, if we donate enough to become "independent" from free forum?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:15 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

C’mon people, get posting~ Only got three responses here. . . <3 Tsk, tsk, tsk.

The threads I’m talking about moving are the photo Erikae, Sakkou, Misedashi, etc threads. Combining them would really make for a mess I think, and the Erikae and Sakkou were once one thread and that was. . .insanity.

A general kagai thread could be nice, but I’m not exactly sure how it would be set up for ease of looking through and being able to search back news.

Seasonal changes could be a really nice trend to go through, I’ll have to look into that. :) I was working on a little doodle of something for the header, so I was thinking going with drawn art, that way, it would be one of a kind and we wouldn’t have to worry about it popping up elsewhere. I love the image still as well, but, change can be oh so very good. I want TM to be constantly changing and not staying the same and looking the same. Eight years of the same look would not do at all, would it? ;3

About customing the buttons, I know you had done work, Ichisumi, for them, but I don’t think they can be implemented in the way that freeforums gives me access. I have no way of getting into the code, or changing and tweaking those things. It would have to be done after a move to a dedicated server, which brings me to that.

Right now, I doubt we’d be able to move from freeforums to a dedicated server. Paying server fees are not too terrible, so it really isn’t that, but it’s the actual moving that would be tricky and getting things transferred and set up. I would like to try maybe to push for that come summer, when I have more time to make sure things get done, and we’re not left hanging with no forum and everyone scratching their heads.

Initial set up would probably run at least $100. Transfer fees are the most expensive, which is the backing up of the forum, saving it, and moving it to the new domain. There’s the buying of the domain name, which, thankfully, should be the cheapest thing and would last about two years if we were to go with a webhost I’m looking at, that is, if they’ll host forums ( they host PHP, so let’s cross our fingers. )

From there, the costs would go down significantly, probably no more than $30 a month for everything. I could get ‘professional’ hosting from freeforums, but their prices are ridiculous. We’d be better off going somewhere else and messing with the hassle that is transferring.

We would also need someone who knows their way around PHP for some of the work tweaking the code and adding such things as buttons. Maybe some design help in general. I admit, I am not that person, I do not know my way around coding, I am usually decent at editting things and figuring out what does what, but, from scratch, no, not me. :) I can write html, that is about it. XD

Now, the stuff we can do if we’re divorced from freeforums is quite numerous. I don’t have the ability to install our own styles, so basically we have to use what freeforums gives us, which isn’t very much and most of it is geared towards video games. This will also make seasonal changes quite difficult. With a domain and coder, we could do a lot more with the design of the forum.

We could also have a gateway website, maybe with some art galleries of the users? Then some small articles and info? Then from there, forum. :)

So, if you know people who host, do code work, etc, let me know on that front as well. It’s still going to be six, seven months at the earliest we can start this.

Moderator rank images? Well, send me your requests on what you want done. :p

Replacing the henshin thread with something more informational would be good.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:54 am 
Minarai
Minarai

More about the henshin thread: I also do not like the tone of the comments, but:
1. If someone doesn't care to be accurate maiko, our comments wouldn't hurt them;
2. We could edit the comments, i. e. from 'look at that dirty collar, looks like she took it from a trash can!' to 'the dirty eri here, and messed up.'

Posting good henshins too would be a big help, I suppose, but bad ones are important too.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:33 am 
Shikomi
Shikomi

I'm totally new to the forums, so I probably shouldn't speak, but I wanted to say I found the henshin thread very usefull. Deleting it completely would be a great loss, but indeed, it could be turned into something more informative. People in those photos are usually merely victims of the incompetent henshin studios, so they shouldn't be a subject of a laughter themselves (i. eg. "she looks so terrible, she probably was so ashamed how ugly she is when this maiko walked by"). But the mistakes should be pointed out - if someone finds there her (or sometimes his...) photo with a comment saying something like "this henshin studio put a dirty, messy katsura on their customer's head and completely messed up the outfit parts [here stated the mistakes]", she probably won't be the happiest person in the world. But knowing she payed for a bad service, maybe she will spread a word about whatever henshin studio she went to, which definitely should be done to protect people who count for a "real maiko/geiko experience" and instead of that are served, well, "something else".
Of course this situation is anyway very unlikely to happen ;) But a thread with both bad and good henshin photos, a one to be updated with new discoveries and commented with respect towards discussed subjects would be a valuable thing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:42 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thank you so much for your response, Narien, and welcome.

Whether you're new, old, or just a lurker, we would really like everyone's feedback, and thank you.

Your input on the henshin thread is very nice, and helps me to form some better ideas on what to do with it. I don't want to scrap it completelyeither, there are people who enjoy it, and I also know new fans to the kagai find it useful in figuring out fakes from the real thing. What looks like a huge things to us seasoned experts don't like so big to people who haven't any knowledge about the kagai. We may think it obvious, but sometimes it isn't, and it's certainly not very warm to treat people as if they were stupid.

I have this very same issue with people marauding on flickr tagging photos with, "Oh, she's a fake," when they could be ruining some person's memories, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

A henshin studio feedback would be much better, and far more mature, and I do like that idea of having good and bad henshins that focus on the work and not really how a person looked.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:35 pm 
Geiko
Geiko

Favorite Geiko: Kofuku Ichiteru
Favorite Maiko: Katsune
I'm too busy atm to give real feedback buuut the henshin thread I really don't care about. If it stays or not won't have any impact on my everyday use. I'm happy with whatever you do with it :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:04 pm 
First Year Maiko
First Year Maiko

I don't like the henshin thread the way it is now, there is many mean comments, which I would not want any of those women dressed up see. Especially those posts that have nothing to do with henshin (like someone's kitsuke attempt or costume) should be left out: they are not even about the topic and just plain rude.
However, don't think the thread should go totally. The suggestions here presented sound good, let's just keep it informative without insulting anyone.

Apart from that, this is a nice place and I hope it will be even better in the future:).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:43 pm 
Okasan

Favorite Geiko: Katsue Satsuki
Favorite Maiko: Umechie Ichiaya
I think that the henshin thread should stay, but only to show images of studio henshins. It should be informative (Eg. this henshin is wearing a wig, which is a no-no for real maiko) to help people learn the differences.

If someone eventually wants to make a "kitsuke gone bad" thread for information purposes later on then that can be debated then.

The seasonal theme idea sounds really cool :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:53 pm 
Sakkou
Sakkou

Favorite Geiko: Kikumaru Yasuha
I think the Erikae, Sakkou, Misedashi, and etc. threads could be moved to the Maiko Geiko Gallery section. However, someone suggested them to put them under "Kagai News" and I think that would be a bad idea. Because if you generalize threads too much, then people who are new or don't know what they are doing will start putting up individual threads about every girl that goes through this change and it will add to the issue rather than resolve it.

The henshin thread, I don't think has to go, however, if there is an issue of people getting upset because their picture is on the Worst Henshin list then maybe we should put up some sort of disclaimer. Or we should moderate the language maybe. The setback to this idea is that not everyone is going to read the "disclaimer" post. Moderating it would be easier I guess. Just make it a rule and say that you can point out a henshin outfit that looks bad but say it in a way that is not going to make anyone cry.

Overall, I like the thread. It is neat. And the forum has really come up since I joined. I joined a long time ago when the forum started. I still remember the message Tsuruko sent me on Flickr inviting me to join all that time ago. I don't want to say that we have become the "authority" on the Flower Willow World, but we are pretty up there because we always seek to provide the most accurate and up to date info with the base of the members.

Can I make a request. Cause since the forum started, I put on the "Favorite Maiko Geiko" pageant and this year I didn't do it because of time, I was actually handicap for half the summer (I broke my ankle and had to have surgery), etc. I just want to see what everyone who was here when we ran the pageant, what they thought about it, if we should have it next year, when's the best time, etc. And if there is a demand to do it again, can we make a subforum in the Maiko Geiko Gallery dedicated to the pageant.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:58 am 
First Year Maiko
First Year Maiko

Favorite Geiko: Mamechiho Mayuha Mao
Favorite Maiko: Satsuki
"The "show the worst henshin pictures you find in the internet" should be taken down. You never know who is watching and perhaps a person who did a henshin finds himself/herself in this topic and that is really bad for us. They lived their dream of being a maiko for one day, it doesn't matter to them (to most i suppose) if it was accurate kitsuke or not. Ichisumi"

"People in those photos are usually merely victims of the incompetent henshin studios, so they shouldn't be a subject of a laughter themselves (i. eg. "she looks so terrible, she probably was so ashamed how ugly she is when this maiko walked by"). Narien"

I toattly agree with these opinions. I apologize for the mean comments in my and others name as well....

Feel free to do whatever if the majority of the public wants.
I won't be upset if it will be removed, at least I'm just a simple member.

I like it very much how the geiko/ maiko gallery looks now, It's easier for me to find certain topics.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:13 am 
First Year Maiko
First Year Maiko

Favorite Geiko: Mamechiho Mayuha Mao
Favorite Maiko: Satsuki
Tsuruko wrote:

Please, please, no pictures of kitsuke experiments or anything done by people on their own time. -Studion only- Tsuruko

I don't really understand this...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:41 am 
Minarai
Minarai

She means only post examples from legitimate henshin studios and not cosplayers just mucking around.