It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:27 pm

Welcome
Welcome to Tsuruko Maiko
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please join our growing community!

Post subject: Change from PHP 2 to PHP 3
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:34 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favorite Geiko: Ichisayo
Favorite Maiko: Mamesome
This is something I've wanted to do for some time, but I'm wanting to get your guy's input before I put TM in the queue to be switched over.

I have been playing with a test forum, testing things out on PHP 3. If you'd like to give me a hand, go to:
http://tmtestphp3.freeforums.org/

It's really quite crappy looking, but it would be great if anyone has some spare time to sign up and spam some things about. :D

I haven't yet found a layout that quite mimics what we have now, though I might just like the layout I have picked for the PHP 3 board, but you guys tell me what YOU think! <3

One of the pluses of switching over to PHP 3 is going to allow us to have nested forums. Basically I can set it up like this:

Announcements

General Forum
- Introduction Forum nested within
- The Ochaya ( I'm thinking of combining the Ochaya and the General chat y/n? )

Kimono

The Flower and Willow World
- Geisha
- Advanced Discussion
- Library
- Gallery

and etc.

Basically, you won't see all the forums under the categories, you'll have to click the 'category forum' and then it'll take you to the nested forums within. It'll make things look a little cleaner, but I want to hear everyone's input. Is the system we have now good, or would this nested system be better?

Another feature PHP3 is going to give us is to allow Ichisumi and Miehina to help out a little more. At this point they really don't have access to administration tools that I would like them to have a hold of, such as being able to ban users, and I fully trust them with this. We have had a nasty incident with a user and while the moderators were able to delete this users posts before she caused too much unrest, it would be easier if they could just ban.

There's a lot of other goodies to explore, but right now I'm just fiddling around.

If we do make this switch, it isn't going to affect the database at all, and everything is still going to be here, might just look a little funky until I can get everything set to look proper. If the board does go into queue to be switched over, I won't know when the switch will take place, and the board may be down for that time and when it comes up, I'm sure it's not going to look too nice. XD It may only take the queue a day or two, or as much as a few months, which I didn't know, but I'm just tossing this out here to let everyone know. If no one wants this change, we can keep things as they are, and it's no problem, but I want to know what everyone thinks and put the option out there. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:31 pm 
Toshi No Miya

Favorite Geiko: Naokazu + Suzuko
Favorite Maiko: Tsuruha
i'm ready to help, just tell me whati have to do.

(could we have even bigger avatars? *_* i'm an avatar freak... i know)

one question, i have a large screen, and this forum stretches a lot for me, is it possible make it a fix size?

and i love the new design. i like the white and purple, looks less dark than this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:56 pm 

Favorite Geiko: Miehina
Favorite Maiko: Mametomi
It's similar to the IG forum and I like it very much. Especially the forum nesting.

Do you know if PHP 3 will allow us to merge topics together That is a problem I've had with this forum since we have a few topics which are the same, but some others didn't know we already had a thread for that subject.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:04 pm 
Toshi No Miya

is it possible to split a thread in tow? like take the last 3 posts and add it to another thread?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I believe all of those things will be possible.

The splitting and merging of threads should be able to be done, I know IG has switched over to PHP 3 and that's what they use now.

Ichisumi, is the test forum stretching for you, or no?

I think 100 X 100 avatars would be best, even though bigger avatars are prettier and such, but bigger avatars can mess up the sizing of the different cells and push and stretch the forum as well. . . But, we'll see. . . ;3

Basically, just jumping on the test forums and spamming it about will make for good tests, and I'll mod you two on the test forum and let you two play with the new moderator features. XD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:58 pm 
Senior Maiko
Senior Maiko

Favorite Geiko: Kotoha
Favorite Maiko: Fukuya
I really like it! I think it would be a great idea!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:02 pm 
Toshi No Miya

i knew that bigger avatars would be a no... but i had to try! :D

i just created myself an account on the test forum. and it doesn't stretch! i love it this way. much easier to read posts for me. and it all looks nicer.

i like the font of the buttons "new post" and so on.

great great work Tsuruko!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:13 pm 
Toshi No Miya

where can i post comments about different features? here or in the test forum?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:31 pm 
Senior Maiko
Senior Maiko

I have just made an account on it now! Sorry if i wasnt supposed too, or if it was just for Ichisumi-san and Miehina-san!

Oh, its undergoing maintenance! Yey! So Tsuruko-san? Are you going to make that the new site and delet this one? I think that would be cool becuase i love the new one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post your comments here :)

No one has to make an account over there, Ichiko, but if you'd like to help, I'd be more than appreciative.

No, this board isn't going to be deleted, just upgraded if that's the overall consensus. I just didn't want to upgrade the forum and go 'bwuah?' because the system is very different, even the administration panel is CRAZY detailed, but that detail is a good thing, means we can do a lot more, so this other forum is just for testing. :D

Once we've figured out what all we can do, we'll take a step to upgrading to PHP 3 if that's what most everyone wants, but I'm thinking that's going to be so. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:49 pm 
Senior Maiko
Senior Maiko

I would like to anything to help Tsuruko-san! Just ask and ill do it!

I really like that other one, great idea!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:51 pm 
Toshi No Miya

i made a test post for testing diffrent things:

the posting controls are much better. using the codings like is now a bless and no torture anylonger.

no forum stretching when posting, which is awesome as well. the draft function might be my favorite new option. it's perfect before creating long informative threads. or when you can't finish all at once and want to do it in a couple of days to include references.

now the user panel, just amazed me. so detailed and completely different than here.

i didn't understand some functions, like the rule function in the private message section.

the friends and foes option made me laugh when i saw it, but can be useful when you truly want to keep an eye on a user ; )

now about the colours, this might be just my personal preference, when having a thread updated, instead of showing it in red, could we use pastel green? : D it would match the purple of the site sooo well.

i haven't yet tried everything out. i will write later more comments! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's going to take me awhile to see if colors can be changed, would be nice to tweak a few things. . . XD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:07 pm 
Toshi No Miya

the modorator control panel is nothing compared to this one. *_* soo many options...

is it possible to make the little icons for deleting, report this, quoting etc on the posts bigger? or is that the only size?

i will try to merge threads tomorrow, as it is night time here and i have to get up early. :D

i really hope we will change to php 3. i'm loving it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:08 pm 
Senior Maiko
Senior Maiko

What about pink? :D