It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 10:40 pm

Welcome
Welcome to Tsuruko Maiko
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please join our growing community!

Post subject: A new '47 Ronin' Film
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:57 pm 
Minarai
Minarai

It seems that there is going to be another film about the tale of '47 Ronin'. The BBC has coverage about the film, specifically about the costume / kimono production here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/nottingham/ ... 269854.stm

More about the film itself here: http://www.slashfilm.com/keanu-reeves-d ... ible-love/

Post subject: Re: A new '47 Ronin' Film
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:41 pm 
Shikomi
Shikomi

Woow starring Keanu Reeves *u*

Hope this one is good, I mean, It would be very disappointing if historical or factual mistakes were seen. Wonder why wasn't a kimono japanese designer the one in charge...

:: Failure does not make us smaller, it forces us to consider the distance between us and our dreams :: -H. Toledano

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:23 pm 
lauraelisha wrote:
Woow starring Keanu Reeves *u*

Hope this one is good, I mean, It would be very disappointing if historical or factual mistakes were seen. Wonder why wasn't a kimono japanese designer the one in charge...

Hehe, you are also interesting by Keanu Reeves ? Then we have the same taste ! :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:18 am 
Shikomi
Shikomi

Some of the designers comments worry me...

Quote:
"We've got an end client. We can be as creative as we want to be within the context of the budget and know there is payback for it."

This quote that they aren't too concerned with being authentic. It seems like they're saying we're getting paid a lot so we can do whatever we want as long as we're within budget. I'm worried they may do things like they did with the costumes in Memoirs.

I'm wondering just how much research is going into this as well:

Quote:
Daniel has been studying a 17th century Japanese garment to help draw up designs for the kimonos and get the shape right.

He's studying a garment? I sure hope he's studying more than just one.

Aside from that there's just the potential for misinterpretation:

Quote:
"Did you know the longer the kimono sleeves the more available you are. Prostitutes will have sleeves to the floor," he added.

Yes, furisode are for young, unmarried women, but since when do oiran and tayuu have sleeves to the floor!?

I really want to see this movie, but If the costumes end up being really authentic, I will be surprised.

My Kanzashi and Kimono
http://kurokami-kanzashi.deviantart.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:25 am 
Minarai
Minarai

At first I was maintaining a cirtain degree of hope but evidently I was being to optimistic.

"Did you know the longer the kimono sleeves the more available you are. Prostitutes will have sleeves to the floor." What?! ::raeg:: I must of missed that part in, you know, ALL the reference books, sites and documentaries ever. That's like saying "The broader the hat the more likly a cowboy was to of killed someone.' I hope that comes back to bite him the ass. Research is not hard people! (just time consuming)

And Keanu Reeves? As a (presumably) ronin? That's like casting Queen Latifa as a pict warrior. Seriously the only way a movie with casting and costumes like this could be made half decent is to have it set IN SPACE, or maybe animated with western voice actors....Which isn't going to be the case is it.

Why do they keep on making me cry? :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:15 pm 
Shikomi
Shikomi

Mylka: haha I think the same about research when I see those ridiculous girls in a thing they swear is a kimono. It's enough to google search "oiran" for that guy to notice how wrong he is.
I bet this movie isn't going to be the great thing about japanese samurai, just and eat-pop-corn and look-at-the-guy movie. I said I would be very disappointed if it wasn't properly set in time, but what else... it is just another Hollywood commercial movie, isn't it?

:: Failure does not make us smaller, it forces us to consider the distance between us and our dreams :: -H. Toledano